Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Success Azuka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Success Azuka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson is a fictional novel about two men used as case studies for a fast-growing problem among youths: alcohol addiction. The story is about Duke Reynolds, who started swallowing swords to make money.

Duke is a sword swallower who joined the circus family at age fifteen. He saw the circus as a magical place where he struggled to learn the art of sword swallowing from his mentor. Duke finally moved into the circus world after he saw that his home could not be peaceful. Duke meets a lady and gets to tell her the reason for his frequent intake of methamphetamines and alcohol. On a fateful day, Duke got arrested and joined the choir while in jail. By the time he was discharged, something had changed about Duke. While performing in a bar, Duke encountered a young man named Gary Robinson and took an interest in him because of Gary’s addiction to alcohol. Will Duke be able to use his life story to change Gary’s life? Find out in this intriguing story of Duke and Gary.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson is a 336-page book focusing on the circus, peer pressure, alcohol, and drug addiction. The author wrote a life-changing book that everyone can read and share. The full story was divided into two sub-stories and later merged together. This book is a self-help one for those addicted to drugs and alcohol.

I enjoyed reading this book. It was too thrilling to know the fate of the protagonists. At first, I thought the flashback was for a chapter or two, but it continued to the end. The author clearly worked his brain to ensure a perfect merging of the two stories and the two men. I enjoyed the part where Duke removed staples from Gary’s body after an interesting incident.

I did not find anything to dislike about this book. The book intrigued me, from the title to the cover page and the contents. The book was exceptionally well-edited, as I found no errors while reading. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars for the positive reasons mentioned.

I recommend The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid to lovers of fictional and motivating novels. This book will help those in therapy or rehabilitation centers. The book is suitable for all readers, young and old.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

Wow.... I am intrigued by this book. From the man that swallows sword to his redemption and now the task he has to redeem others.. fascinating. I am looking forward to an interesting read.
Helen Chizzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-chizzy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Helen Chizzy »

I recently reviewed this book and I must say it was a beautiful read. The bond between Duke and Gary is inspiring. Beautiful review.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

It is a life-changing story indeed for Duke! I really hope he was able to change Gary for good. No one would have thought this book would contain such an inspiring story. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I am delighted you enjoyed this book as it is next on my to-read list. It sounds like an interesting concept and learning about circus life, addiction, and the difficulties it brings is an exciting topic. I look forward to reading it.
JuliusOnyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusonyango.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by JuliusOnyango »

Sword swallowing sounded gross to me at first. Then, suddenly I started feeling the thrill of the talent. I was always on edge each time Gary swallowed a sword. Beautiful review. I enjoyed reading it.
Uchechi uk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechi-uk.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Uchechi uk »

Wow... This is a story that is based on change . I am sure this story will be very impactful and inspiring. I am looking forward to learning from the story and getting inspired. Amazing review.
JuliusOnyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusonyango.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by JuliusOnyango »

I really like the structure of your review-simple yet very informative.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”