Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cresswell Henderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cresswell-henderson.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Cresswell Henderson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War is a beautifully written novel by acclaimed author Dorothy May Mercer. The story follows the life of Cynthia, a secretary and bodyguard to Senator Mike McBride. Cynthia has a boyfriend, Dan, who is a police officer; however, she soon develops a deep and abiding love for a mysterious stranger, Sky Eastman. Already posed with a cyber security threat, Cynthia must try to stop her affairs from interfering with her cyber war approach and ruining her professional career.

I like how the author detailed the combined efforts of Cynthia and her brother, Glenn, in battling the terrorists. The author's brilliance in portraying relationships as a bad idea for professional agents like Cynthia makes the book very relatable to movies we see on television. I think the novel is, in a way, set in the late 1960s and early 1970s, a time of great social and political upheaval in America, and this gives it a more concrete realism.

I developed a dislike for Cynthia's caution as a professional bodyguard to a big politician such as the Senator. The way she gave out sensitive information about herself to Sky, a stranger she just met, without even considering the likelihood of him being a spy or a secret agent, and then even made it worse by falling in love with him at first sight, really put me off. It made me question both her professionalism as a bodyguard and the realism of the book.

However, I don't think these points are enough reasons to give this book a low rating. It still remains an interesting book, in my opinion. I rate Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War 5 out of 5 stars, as there's no concrete reason to rate it less than I did. The book contains no errors or spelling mistakes, and it was professionally edited.

Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War seems like a love story from the book cover, but it is actually much more than a mere love story. Dorothy May Mercer integrates romance with suspense and action in this beautifully written and deeply moving novel that is not to be missed. It is a must-read for anyone who appreciates great literature. This book is sure to resonate with lovers of drama, romance, and action.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oluebube Prisca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluebube-prisca.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluebube Prisca »

It's good to see your perspective on this book. The good relationship between Cynthia and her brother Glenn is one I didn't understand but you were able to protray that in this review. Thank you.
Mariam Ibraheem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-ibraheem.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Mariam Ibraheem »

Your review is intriguing and I enjoyed reading it. This book is an interesting read and I love the plot and the author’s writing style.
Favour Chiedozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-chiedozie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Favour Chiedozie »

The book will be fun to read, and the review is great. The review gave the computer scientists high praise for their achievements and diligence. I'm eager to read this book in order to learn more.
MsChet Cherry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

I equally enjoyed reading this book. I'm happy to see that you highlighted the main theme of the story.
Thanks for your well-detailed review.
Natasha Kim
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll love to read this book anyway. It sure holds an interesting content. Cynthia has a lot of balancing to do in her life. Thanks for your review.
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

I'll always find it puzzling how an acclaimed professional agent would fall in love with a total stranger. To think that they even had sex too. Geez! Thanks for your review.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Deceit by Vernon Baumrind

Post by Robert Andrew »

The review showcases the reviewer's appreciation for "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer. The reviewer praises the author's writing style, describing it as beautifully written. They highlight the captivating storyline, focusing on Cynthia's dual role as a secretary and bodyguard, her romantic entanglements, and the cyber security threat she faces. The reviewer particularly commends the author's portrayal of relationships as a potential hindrance to professional agents, drawing parallels to television shows and adding relatability to the novel. Furthermore, the reviewer recognizes the author's ability to infuse the story with a sense of historical context, specifically referencing the social and political turmoil of the late 1960s and early 1970s in America, which enhances the realism of the narrative.
Jay Alex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: 1942 When British Rule In India Was Threatened by Krishna Kumar

Post by Jay Alex »

I am presently reading this book and I am having a good time with it. I like the plot and how the story flowed. A lot of suspense and sweet things to read about.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”