Review of Dear Abigail

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Dear Abigail

Post by Uche Active »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dear Abigail" by Richard Rees.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It is usually a blessing and a happy thing for children to meet their grandparents alive. It is more beautiful if the grandparents are fit and can interact with the grandchild.

Arranged in no particular order, Dear Abigail, A Letter To a Little Granddaughter by Richard Rees is a memoir of 204 pages. The book starts with the author telling his granddaughter, Abigail, of her mother’s love for her. It moved on to tell of how Rachel, his wife, died and how he had to take care of Carys alone, with the help of some relatives. The author mentioned all his experiences and adventures with his daughter until she had to leave him for marriage. However, the family has a sickness that goes through generations. What is this about? How did it affect their lives? Read this book to find out.

I find this book emotional. It is because there are lots of people who didn’t enjoy a grandfather or grandparents like the author. They don’t have people to tell stories about the family, whether thrilling or boring. Reading this book made me emotional about the author’s love for his granddaughter. The book contains tales, histories, and other necessary information about their family. The book features love, history, forgiveness, nostalgia, and others. They also focused on sharing this love for his children with the next generation, which is his granddaughter.

The book contained some poems and quotations that were requisite for that given part of the book. The book is about the author’s experiences training his daughter, especially as her mother was unavailable. The author played the role of a protective father. I could not help but smile at his reaction when he initially met Carys with Ian. The book makes readers critically analyze why they are separated. I feel for the author. I hope that this letter gets to Abigail. Richard Rees is a strong man who has lived a long life with many experiences.

There were some things I did not like about the book. It was not too lengthy, but it felt long and boring. I attribute this to the lack of some ingredients in the book. The book lacks necessary elements like suspense, thrillers, and imagery. It would have been better if the author had included pictures in the book that would have spiced up the story. It would also authenticate the author’s tales. For this reason, I will deduct a star and rate this book four out of five stars. However, the book was professionally edited, as I found a few errors while reading.

I recommend this book to lovers of nonfiction and books on family history and lineage. The book contains mild profanity, so adolescents or children who have recently turned adults can read it and learn from it. It was an amazing and touching read.

Dear Abigail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Zain
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

the book seems full of feelings. The presence of grandparents gives life a special meaning. I relate to this idea a lot because I was attached to my late grandmother, and the extent of her tenderness and her stories is something I really miss deeply. Your review is well written 👍
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

I should definitely read this memoir that is unusually short. I can't remember conversations with my grandmother but I knew they were both good women. Thanks for this review.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

I feel emotional already from just reading the review. It wouldn't have been easy for Abigail to lose her mother even before her grandmother. Since it's a non-fiction, I'm sure there would be lots to learn from it.
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

This is a nice book. I envy people who actually did met their grandparents. I wished I met mine. This is a book that everyone who reads would enjoy.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

The inclusion of poems and quotations throughout the book sounds like a lovely touch. Such elements can enhance the storytelling experience and provide moments of reflection. It's wonderful to hear that the author integrates these components in a way that feels relevant and fitting for each part of the narrative.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Abigail must have been through a lot without her mum. But I'm glad she had her grandfather, who's always there for her.
There are a lot to learn from this. Thanks for your engaging review.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

The book prompts readers to engage in a thoughtful examination of the reasons behind their separation. I empathize with the author and sincerely hope that this letter reaches Abigail. Richard Rees is an indomitable individual who has lived a rich and eventful life, marked by numerous experiences.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

It's joyful to be able to relate to your grandparents well if the for anything the wealth of wisdom you can get from them. I so much enjoyed this book.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

"Dear Abigail, A Letter To a Little Granddaughter" by Richard Rees is a heartfelt memoir that beautifully captures the joys and challenges of family life, including the author's experiences with his granddaughter and his daughter's journey into adulthood. Amidst the love and happy moments, the family's generational sickness adds a poignant layer of complexity to their lives, making it a touching and thought-provoking read."
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Jessica Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Jessica Azuka »

Dear Abigail seems like a book that evokes emotions. I wonder what disease run in their family. My curiosity for this might cause me to jump on it. Amazing review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”