Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill is a science fiction book that gives a glimpse of the future of humanity. The story revolves around a young girl called Kim. Kim lives in a universe that can best be described as ideal. This universe was controlled by dictatoorial-like authorities who had absolute control over the lives of Kim and others. They enacted ten rules that were used to put the people in check. People in this universe couldn't decide what to eat, where to go, who to date/marry, and even when to conceive children.

Despite advocating equality, classism was evident because this universe had different areas where people lived. There were various forms of transportation. The kind of place a person lives, the type of transport used by an individual, and the kind of work a person is assigned are all determined by the person's social rating.

Kim still managed to thrive despite the dictatorial nature of this universe. She obeyed the rules. She hardly broke any law. Her obedience was later rewarded when the authorities selected her alongside others for an official assignment. However, everything started becoming chaotic when she began to discover some facts. Read to find out whether Kim will accept her new realities without challenging the authorities.

Reading Terms of Service was a thought-provoking and engaging experience. The author's writing style captivated me, often causing me to pause and reflect on the implications of technology and its impact on our future. The book sparked philosophical contemplation regarding freedom, equality, privacy, and power. It left me envisioning the potential trajectory of humanity.

I admire the author's ingenuity in crafting such a compelling story. He demonstrated a profound understanding of the complex themes explored within. The conversations between characters were particularly enjoyable and insightful. I particularly enjoyed reading Kim's interactions with the devices in her apartment.

The only thing I didn't like about the book was the depiction of drug use by Kim and other characters. It raised concerns about whether reliance on substances will become prevalent in coping with the pressures of the future. However, this minor issue does not diminish the book's quality. The exceptional editing deserves commendation, as I didn't spot any errors. Hence, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend it to adult readers interested in exploring the profound implications of AI, virtual reality, and the influence of technology on humanity. It's worth noting that the book contains some explicit content, making it more suitable for mature audiences.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I’m curious about this book and I’ll love to read it. What will be like to live in a world where the citizens are bound by rules and regulations. Well done!
Anabel Mack
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

Kim is such a strange character but isn't strange wonderful sometimes? She later became what she always wanted ti be and have.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”