Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nkem Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkem-blessing.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Nkem Blessing »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Dream for Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah This is a nonfiction and historic book. It is a story about Algeria and other French colonies being faced with discrimination and racism. This book talks about the early life of Dr. Ghoulem Berrah, a scientist and political diplomat. As a medical student, he came across his Muslim brothers being discriminated against. They united together to form a group of anti-colonial associations and later protested the way they were treated. Although he was imprisoned. He resigned from Yale School of Medicine as a teacher to work with President Houphouet-Biogny in Cote d'Ivoire as his assistant. His position helped him more in his pursuit of Algeria’s independence from France. While in the medical field as a scientist, he proposed a hypothesis on the reverse transcriptase enzyme.

This book is indeed an interesting one. I love the way the author fought for the freedom of his people. He preferred using dialogue for his quest rather than war. The pictures in some parts of the book gave it an ancient feel. As it gave me a visual knowledge of events in the book. The writing style of the book is very unique. The author gave a clear analysis of every event that took place. I admire his courage and bravery in his pursuit of the independence of his people. The role his mother played was very encouraging, as she was very disciplined and gave Dr. Berah strong support in his career pursuit. His scientific discoveries also gave him credit.

The part of this book I don’t like is the part that has French writing. I found it difficult to comprehend. The length of the book is something else. Though it is worth going for. I found no profane words. Apart from this, the book is interesting and educational.

This book is professionally edited. I found no errors in the book. Although it was filled with historical events. The author did a good job of bringing history to life. He never relented in his quest for independence. War is never a good idea. So I like his idea of using dialogue to seek peace. This book is very knowledgeable, and the English used is very good. Therefore, I rate this book 5 out of 5.

I recommend this book to those who will love to read about the history of Africa, lovers of autobiography, peacekeepers, and those who are interested in international politics.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

I respect Dr. Berrah's dialogue approach as well. He told us, but he also showed us how important dialogue was to him through his relationships and meetings. I also like the inclusion of the pictures. This book was a great read for me.
Ibrahim Hammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-hammed.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Hammed »

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is an amazing activist that I’ll forever cherish. His impact on the decolonization of his Homeland Algeria is really impressive.
Chee Amaka
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chee-amaka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Chee Amaka »

A dream for peace is an interesting read about freedom and independence. I love how persistent and patriotic Berrah was towards making sure everything turned out well.
Christian Kay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christian-kay.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Christian Kay »

Great review. Reading about freedom in A Dream for Peace is interesting. I adore how tenacious and loyal Berrah was in making sure things worked out nicely. He was awesome. Knew how to do a lot of things and be a lot of things.
JuliusOnyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusonyango.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by JuliusOnyango »

The world would be a better place with people like Dr.Berrah in it. Thanks for a great review.
Agbata Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Dr. Ghoulem Berra is indeed a patriot whose handiwork should not be left untold. This book was a great read for me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”