Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The telling of didactic stories is as important for adults as it is for children, but for children, it is a chance to form the basis of and build their character. If you don't know what didactic means, keep on reading; we'll get there.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures is a children's book about Donny, who has Down syndrome, and Mary Grace, his older sister, who adores him. They live with their parents with whom they share a loving relationship. The situation changes when their parents have to travel to Africa, and Donny and Mary Grace have to move to California to stay with their grandparents. Donny, the ever-optimistic boy, thinks about how much fun he will have, but his sister doesn't share his enthusiasm. After arriving in California, Mary Grace starts to see reasons to be happy, like the story of the Grandma Gang and meeting the gang. Just when she is starting to feel comfortable, her joy is threatened as she gets a cruel note at school, saying that she and her brother are not wanted. Mary Grace is reminded that she hates that she had to move, and now, she is scared. Does she tell Grandma Cathy about this? Or should she keep it to herself to avoid being called a snitch? And if she keeps it to herself, how will she eventually handle this case of bullying? Does it even classify as bullying?

Catherine Anna Pepe wrote about topics that I agree children should be aware of and sensitive to. She talked about Down syndrome and addressed how it is not okay to treat any child badly and differently. She also addressed bullying in a different form. When we say bullying, what comes to mind often is physical abuse, but Catherine addressed a form that appears lesser but is as serious. A note insulting another person is considered bullying. I liked that she used this form in her book. It would help create an awareness in children about what is considered bullying. They would understand that you have to speak up about other forms of bullying like name-calling, insulting notes, and demeaning notes and statements.

Two other things I loved about this book were Donny and Mary Grace's characters. There is a lot to learn from the way Donny and Mary Grace treated each other and others, and the way they approached situations. Donny was an extremely optimistic child. His outlook on situations was different and positive overall. He could take a supposedly sad situation and face it with positive energy. It was an admirable trait. Mary Grace, on the other hand, was a 10-year-old that didn't act so much like a 10-year-old. She was quite a mature child. While she was sad about her parents leaving, she handled the aftermath well, and despite her anger, she understood that what her parents were doing was for a good cause, and she eventually accepted it. She also cared for her brother very intentionally, and her subsequent reaction to the bullying was impressive.

I enjoyed this book, and no negative aspect stands out to me. The font was clear and easy to read, and the book length was good. Catherine also included lighter lessons on being polite, and it was a nice touch. The proofreader of this book did a great job, as I found only two errors. This leads me to say that this book was professionally edited and proofread.

Based on the great lessons incorporated, the great proofreading, and how interesting the story was, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I would recommend this book to children between the ages of 5-10 years. For children with a bit more difficulty reading, I would recommend that their parents read with them, and even read to them, if necessary. For my readers who stuck around till the end, a didactic story is a story with moral lessons, and this book could be classified under that category.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

I am reading this right now and I love it too! I especially love the relationship that Donny and Mary Grace have. The author does an amazing job showing examples of how to treat others and handle difficult situations. GREAT review.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

Bethany Kroeger wrote: 10 May 2023, 09:28 I am reading this right now and I love it too! I especially love the relationship that Donny and Mary Grace have. The author does an amazing job showing examples of how to treat others and handle difficult situations. GREAT review.
I know! I love the relationship they have, and the author did an absolutely great job. Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the review.
Jimmy Cyprian
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

Just read this book recently, and I must say, your review is in line with the exact way I felt after reading the book. The author's inclusion of a kid with special needs remains a brilliant idea to me.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

This is my best children books, I liked how you identified minor issues with the book while still giving it a 5-star rating. This approach shows that you can appreciate the book's strengths despite its shortcomings.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

Jimmy Cyprian wrote: 12 May 2023, 03:28 Just read this book recently, and I must say, your review is in line with the exact way I felt after reading the book. The author's inclusion of a kid with special needs remains a brilliant idea to me.
I read your review, and I see what you mean. Yours also resonated with how I felt about this book. Thanks for your comment.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

Blessing Chi Peculiar wrote: 12 May 2023, 04:14 This is my best children books, I liked how you identified minor issues with the book while still giving it a 5-star rating. This approach shows that you can appreciate the book's strengths despite its shortcomings.
Thank you. I love that you love this book and consider it to be your best children's book. The book deserves all the love it gets.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

Your attention to detail is admirable, and I found it helpful that you mentioned that the plot was easy to comprehend. It's always nice to know that a book is well-organized and easy to follow.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

Yesterday, I told a friend who's a bookworm that a reader will always have an edge over people who don't. It's because stories like this that interested children get to read, that's what gives them that edge.
Ayilaran Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayilaran-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ayilaran Emmanuel »

Reading your reviews make me understand that there's always a positive outcome in every bad situation. Not just that Donny and May Grace were able to handle themselves while their parents were away, but Mary was able to protect her bro and their vicinity from Bullying.

Job weldone
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I wish that I am like Donny who can adapt easily to new environments. How nice to be flexible, adaptable, and most importantly, optimistic. I enjoy Donny's character in this book. Your review is wonderful, Sylvia!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Nkem Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkem-blessing.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nkem Blessing »

A good review dear. I like your writing skill. With this, i will select this book to read. Your review deserve a good score
Helen Chizzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-chizzy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Helen Chizzy »

This is one of the best reviews I've seen on this book. I look forward to reading about the adventures of this siblings in California. Beautiful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”