Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Super-Delicious Mediterranean Diet Cookbook For Beginners by Janet Evans

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Chris Agbara »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donny and Mary Grace’s California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe is a book that tells the epic story of two siblings, Donny and Mary Grace, who lived a happy life in Wichita, Kansas. However, they moved to California with their grandparents when their parents took up missionary work in Africa. In California, their lives will take a new turn. Donny has Down syndrome; will he survive in California? Mary Grace struggles with bullying in her new school, and she then joins the Grandma Gang. What then becomes her fate in the new California?

The book brings to light some very interesting themes, such as:
• Diversity and inclusion: The book shows how people with different abilities, backgrounds, cultures, and ages can coexist and cooperate. It also shows how people can learn from each other and appreciate their differences. The book challenges stereotypes and prejudices and promotes respect and acceptance.
• Family and friendship: The book shows how family and friends can support each other through difficult times and share joyful moments. It also shows how family and friends can help each other grow and overcome challenges. The book celebrates the bond between siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, and intergenerational friends.
• Faith and Courage: The book shows how faith can guide people in their decisions and actions. It also shows how faith can help people cope with uncertainty and adversity. The book illustrates the importance of trusting God and following His will. The book also shows how courage can help people face their fears and stand up for what is right. The book inspires readers to be brave and faithful.

Of all these interesting themes, the one that stands out most to me is the theme of diversity and inclusion. I believe it’s a very relevant and timely theme in our world today. The book teaches that it’s important to learn about different people and cultures and to respect and appreciate their uniqueness. The book further emphasizes that it is important to include everyone and make them feel welcome and valued. I think this theme is very well portrayed in the book through the characters and the plot, especially through Donny, who has Down syndrome.

To follow up, I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because I don’t dislike anything about it. It’s a very well-written and enjoyable book with no errors. I would say the author did a great job of creating realistic and likable characters, plus an engaging and suspenseful plot.

I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys reading mysteries, adventures, and family stories. Ideally, one would think that it is a children's book, but I would say the opposite. The book has something for everyone, whether they are young or old, male or female, religious or not. The book can also be a good resource for teachers, parents, and caregivers who want to introduce topics such as diversity, inclusion, disability, and faith to their students or children.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

The author's inclusion of a character who suffers from Down Syndrome is very commendable. Your review is amazing. Thank you.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

You are right. My first impression was that this was a children's book, but we can all learn about the topics you mentioned. And since I haven't interacted much with people with Down's syndrome in real life, I'd like to know more.
Great review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I enjoyed your review, Chris. You perfectly articulate the book. I like how the author presents the character of Donny in this book. His disability is a joy to the people who surround him because of his optimism. I love this amazing book.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

This sounds like a wonderful book to teach others about inclusivity, bullying, and friendship. I also like the way the parents are serving others. In addition, this is a terrific example of what a blessing it is to have supportive and loving grandparents. It takes a village! Great book review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”