Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ever longed to embark on a desired sea voyage of adventure? Relishing the odd, thrilling, sometimes perilous, yet interesting succession of events, Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin tells an exciting nonfiction story about the adventures taken by the author, Tina, and her family as they go on an exciting journey through Africa.

Tina Dreffin, a courageous woman, commenced on an exciting journey with her loving husband Peter, her two sons Adam and Warren, and two of their friends around Africa, sailing through the South Pacific. She and Peter especially loved going on adventures. They visited Kruger Park while in South Africa, encountering different animals in the park. On their voyage at sea on their ship Scud, the trip had its share of danger, including waves and aquatic life that might kill. Despite the difficulties encountered at sea, the family still had fun. During her journey, Tina recalled some of her depressing memories about the challenges she faced as a young woman, including how she was sexually assaulted and how she lost a child due to a miscarriage. Read the book Bluewater Walkabout to find out more about their journey to South Africa and their encounters with the menacing sea life.

I enjoy reading travel memoirs, and the author did justice to this. I loved the way the author described the animals and life at sea. The descriptions were top-notch, explaining each animal's attributes, which made the book exciting. I could easily picture everything in my mind while reading the book. The book was educational and informative. I learned a lot about the animals at Kruger Park, sailing, and life at sea. I enjoyed the journey-related images with captions that were included at the start of each chapter, along with the quotes that were included. The narrative in the book was excellent. I loved how the author alternated between the past and the present smoothly without any confusion; it didn’t disturb the flow of the reading.

I commend the bravery of the author for being able to share her painful memories of the sexual assault incident that happened to her. She explained the pain, shame, trauma, and psychological damage it causes women who have been sexually assaulted. It was valiant of her to write the story of her painful experience down; it might be of help to another young woman growing up. She also shared suggestions for what to do if you experience sexual assault or rape. This was shown in the reference section of the book. I also loved how she focuses on the positive aspects of life and does not dwell on the negative experiences she faces.

I couldn’t find anything I disliked about the book; it was exceptionally well written. Furthermore, I found just a few errors in the book; it was professionally edited. I would rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed reading about the adventures of Tina and her family, and I loved the author's descriptive writing in the book.

I would recommend the book to those who love adventure, sea life, and sailing. Furthermore, I would also recommend to survivors of sexual assault that Tina's story may provide comfort for them.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Certified Clef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-certified-clef.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Certified Clef »

It always nice reading memoirs, as we the readers could learn alot from the real life experiences of the writer. Thanks for the detailed review.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

The book cover correlates well with the book's content. I feel so sorry for Tina and i hope she found her own comfort. The review is interesting and contains detailed information about the book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Agbata Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Expeditions like this are rare nowadays. I enjoyed reading about Tina's adventure. Her Losses are sympathized.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”