Review of The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review of The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life..." by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you feel like your life is on hold? Although it looks like the sun is shining on others, the sky above you is gray and getting darker by the minute. You are dragging along because you do not seem to have another choice. You feel like the obstacles you face are beyond impossible to overcome. Furthermore, you struggle to survive, left alone to find a purpose for your life. If this is the case, stop right there; you have just stumbled upon your turning point! Authors Dr. Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka wrote this book for people like you.

You might think they cannot help you; they don't know you or your circumstances. You might be correct, but at least give them a chance. After all, you have nothing to lose! I assure you that these two authors know what they are talking about. They have experienced their share of hardships, but instead of giving up, they walked through their struggles with unbelievable persistence.

Harriet Tinka is a former fashion model and a present life coach who has survived an ultimate act of violence; she was kidnapped, stabbed multiple times, and left to die. Dr. Allen Lycka's career as a leading cosmetic dermatologist is remarkable. Still, his former success did not help when his doctor diagnosed him with Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS), which practically equals a death sentence. These life-altering experiences forever changed Lycka and Tinka, and they have since dedicated their lives to helping others find purpose and meaning in their lives.

This self-help book divides into short chapters, and its format allows the reader to use it as if it was a daily devotional on a journey to self-discovery. The authors have summarized their findings into 13 golden pearls, and they introduce every golden pearl in a separate chapter. Taking a break and reflecting before moving on to the next chapter is an effective way to read this book. I found several valuable, life-changing insights from this book that I want to remember. One big realization it offered me is that your current circumstances don't matter. Instead, it matters what you do with them. Another significant realization the authors introduced is that vulnerability is not something we should be afraid of.

However, my favorite part was reading the personal stories of both authors. I found their relentless approach to their problems inspiring. The authors placed the stories in full to the beginning. Furthermore, they occasionally reflected on their stories throughout the book. In addition, I was delighted to find an exhaustive list of quotations used in this book from the last pages. This listing is a valuable source of wisdom, and I return to it habitually whenever I need encouragement.

Regrettably, I also discovered something I disliked. The authors used their documented conversations as a framework for this book. These conversations included plenty of joking in a friendly spirit and praise for each other. Unfortunately, the implementation caused the text to appear slightly repetitive. In addition, the joking and compliments sometimes threatened to overshadow the actual message of the book. That said, it is a part of the spirit of this book to encourage people to commend each other and maintain a positive atmosphere. However, a little less would have sufficed.

I admire both authors' willingness to use their time and experience to help others. This book gave me valuable insights and tools to improve my life. The core message of this book deserves a perfect rating, and the few negative points described above were not enough for me to deduct a star. Therefore, I am awarding this well-edited book with 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend The Secrets to Living a Fantastic Life: Two Survivors Reveal the 13 Golden Pearls They've Discovered to readers facing seemingly insurmountable obstacles or wanting to find a purpose and better self-esteem. If that description fits you, give this book a try. It offers valuable signposts for your journey!

The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The title itself is promising. I wanna know how the authors define a fantastic life in this book. I think I would love to read their personal stories too. Thanks for your wonderful review, Kirsi!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I have pondered the questions mentioned in your intro many times before, and after reading your review, I am adding this book to my bookshelves. Your review is captivating, and I look forward to learning all the valuable lessons this book offers. It is a pleasure reading your review.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 22 May 2023, 00:25 The title itself is promising. I wanna know how the authors define a fantastic life in this book. I think I would love to read their personal stories too. Thanks for your wonderful review, Kirsi!
Thank you for your encouraging feedback! I hope you get a chance to read this book!
Kirsi
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the positive review! It is a great advice: Your current circumstances don't matter, what you do with them does. 12 more pearls to read about.
Omneya Shakeep
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

The book cover and title are eye-catching. I enjoyed reading your review very much and was intrigued by the questions you presented in the intro. Thank you for this thoroughly detailed review, Kirsi. This book is definitely on my to-read list.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 22 May 2023, 04:03 I have pondered the questions mentioned in your intro many times before, and after reading your review, I am adding this book to my bookshelves. Your review is captivating, and I look forward to learning all the valuable lessons this book offers. It is a pleasure reading your review.
Thank you, Meghan, for your encouraging feedback. I hope you’ll get the chance to read this book!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Kavita Shah wrote: 24 May 2023, 06:25 Thank you for the positive review! It is a great advice: Your current circumstances don't matter, what you do with them does. 12 more pearls to read about.
Yes, that was indeed a mind-blowing realization to me. And this book offers many more. Thank you for stopping by!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 28 May 2023, 12:51 The book cover and title are eye-catching. I enjoyed reading your review very much and was intrigued by the questions you presented in the intro. Thank you for this thoroughly detailed review, Kirsi. This book is definitely on my to-read list.
Oh, thank you, and you are most welcome. I enjoyed reading this book and writing about it very much.
Kirsi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”