Review of Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Post by Temi Book »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This novel is an autobiographical account of the life of its author, Dr. Frank L Douglas, titled Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream. The book tells the story of his family, his journey of success and failure, and his experiences with discrimination and racism in society. Dr. Frank L Douglas was born in Guyana and grew up in a single room with his mother and siblings. They survived on credit for food. As he grew older, he discovered that his father was a successful lawyer working in Lagos but was not properly acknowledged by his father.

Despite these challenges, Dr. Douglas was a brilliant child and excelled in his studies. He achieved the highest score in all of Guyana and later graduated from Queens College. He was eventually awarded a scholarship to study engineering at Lehigh University. The book details his journey to overcome adversity and succeed against all odds.

The author's use of tone and words reveals his great moral and personal values. Dr. Douglas was disciplined, dedicated, and had the mindset of "either this works or it doesn't." He did not compromise his values and did not indulge in the corrupt ways of the world. The book also emphasizes the importance of a father figure in a child's life. Despite not growing up with one, Dr. Douglas was fortunate to have an uncle and several teachers and professors who advised him on his journey. He also shares the story of how he got engaged before leaving Guyana to avoid bringing home a foreign wife and how he remained devoted to his betrothed despite the long distance between them.

There are no errors in the book, which is exceptionally edited. The narrative is engaging and inspiring, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves reading memoirs. The book is suitable for people of reading age and teaches us the value of standing by our faith in God. There is nothing I dislike.

In conclusion, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream is a captivating autobiography that highlights the power of perseverance, hard work, and discipline. Dr. Douglas' story is one of triumph over adversity and serves as an inspiration to all who read it. The book is an excellent read and deserves a 5 out of 5 rating.

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogidor Chinasa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogidor-chinasa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ogidor Chinasa »

What an interesting story I appreciate the reviewer's recognition of Dr. Frank L Douglas' inspiring journey and the challenges he overcame in the book.The emphasis on moral values, discipline, and the importance of a father figure adds depth to the narrative. Great review.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This is an interesting account of the author, Frank L Douglas. He gave stories of the things we went through as he climb up the ladder of success.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

I love how detailed your review is. Dr. Douglas is a true definition of what determination can yield and I love that he compiled his life and success autobiography in a book. Thanks for the nice review.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Dr. Douglas' character is worthy of emulation, he didn't compromise his stand not conform to the things of the world. Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream is an autobiography that tells a story of perseverance, hard work, and discipline.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

The detrimental effects of racism, starvation, and suffering have significantly impacted the self-esteem of numerous individuals. I am eagerly anticipating discovering how the protagonist managed to overcome these challenges and emerge stronger.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Dr Frank and his family went through a lot of racial discrimination and financial struggles. I'm glad he was able to rise above the situation and make a good turn around. Thank you for such a detailed review.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

This was a really nice review. The points raised in this review were all valid. The author shows true genius and its wonderful.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

This book seems like a motivational one. A book like this help people to move on whenever they face difficulty in life. It is truly a genuine book of encouragement. I will really love to read it.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Post by Obc Contentor »

One thing I've come to know about autobiographies is that they are written with carefulness and a soft tone that does keep the reader moved and engaged while reading. I would also like to read about his challenges on the ladder of success.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

It's is very heart breaking that even in this century the topic of Racism is still what we talk about. Racism and a huge enemy to the society and must be stopped by any means possible.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

I admired Dr. Douglas discipline and dedication, which were qualities that aided him in his success story despite the circumstances he was faced with.
Gillian Walter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-mogzi.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Gillian Walter »

Racism is a worm that has eaten deep into society. I'm glad that the author found a way to win it over and become successful. I'll like to read this book. It sounds inspiring. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”