Review of The Abalone Ukulele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anamika Satheesh
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anamika-satheesh.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Review of The Abalone Ukulele

Post by Anamika Satheesh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Abalone Ukulele" by R. L. Crossland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Abalone Ukulele by R. L. Crossland is a historical fiction book that revolves around fictional officers in the US Navy. The plot is set a few decades before the First World War. It narrates real-life events through fictional voices.

The book combines the voices of four different nations. It has characters from China, the USA, Korea, and Japan, who make it an interesting read. A disgraced Korean officer and a Chinese prostitute add to the intricacy of the story. All these characters are unique and well-developed. The protagonists have such contrasting personalities, which only adds more depth to the plot. As the reader, I was drawn to the development of the characters throughout the book, and I commend the author for pulling it off so well.

Another major positive aspect of this book is the history lesson it contains. The author narrates the tale so fluidly that it just grabs the attention of the readers. Unlike a normal history class, the book does not merely disseminate the events that took place. There is an emotional factor that makes it more intriguing and memorable. Crossland has definitely done his research and explored the political and historical contexts of the events that occur in the book.

Crossland is a brilliant writer. A lot of the scenes were described marvelously, and the author's style of writing has so much power. However, I was slightly disappointed with the editing. I did spot a lot of errors, and a couple of the stylistic choices that Crossland made while writing didn't work so well in my subjective opinion. It wasn't too hard to read, but it was disappointing because, if not for those, this book would have been immaculate.

The editing is the only drawback to this book. The writing is honestly pretty decent, but it does require some editing. Apart from that, the story and the development of the characters are perfect. Therefore, I'm happy to award it 4 out of 5 stars.

The Abalone Ukulele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It sounds like a good book that narrates historical events with fictional characters adding emotions and making it a intriguing read. Thank you for the concise review Anamika!
Anamika Satheesh
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anamika-satheesh.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Anamika Satheesh »

Thank you for your kind comment, Kavita!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”