Review of Man Mission

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Review of Man Mission

Post by Chris Agbara »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission: Four Men, Fifteen Years, One Epic Journey by Eytan Uliel is a heartwarming and inspiring story about the power of friendship and the importance of adventure. The book follows the lives of four young men who make a pact to go on an annual adventure together, no matter what life throws their way. They call it their "Man Mission", a sacred ritual dedicated to new experiences and friendship. Over the course of fifteen years, the men travel all over the world, facing challenges and obstacles along the way but always coming out stronger together.

The novel is written in a witty, humorous, and engaging style that captures the voice and perspective of the narrator. The novel also offers vivid descriptions of various destinations and cultures, such as New Zealand, Fiji, South Africa, Peru, and Iceland.

The novel explores themes such as:
• Friendship and loyalty: The four men share a bond that transcends time and distance, and they support each other through various challenges and changes in their lives.
• Marriage and divorce: The book shows the different marital experiences of the four men, from happy and stable relationships to infidelity and divorce. The book explores how men deal with the challenges and consequences of their choices, such as guilt, regret, anger, loneliness, or forgiveness. The book also shows how the Man Mission trips affect their marriages, either positively or negatively.
• Masculinity and identity: The book examines the question of what it means to be a man in a world where the traditional roles and expectations are no longer clear, and how men cope with their personal and professional struggles, such as marriage, divorce, parenthood, career, or health.
• Adventure and exploration: The book describes the different places and cultures that the men encounter in their travels, from New Zealand to Iceland, and the thrill and risk of their activities, such as kayaking, hiking, or ice climbing.

One of the most remarkable aspects of this book to me is its ability to provide a window into the human condition. Each character is thoughtfully developed, allowing the reader to forge a deep emotional connection. From the joys and sorrows of their childhood to the complexities of their adult lives, we witness their growth, learning, and transformation.

I believe that one of the key strengths of "Man Mission" lies in its potential as a source of personal growth. Through the trials and tribulations faced by the characters, we are presented with valuable insights and lessons. Whether it's navigating the challenges of maintaining a healthy work-life and family-life balance or dealing with financial setbacks, the book provides a wealth of wisdom that readers can apply to their own lives.

However, I have a little reservation about the book, primarily because it was written mainly from the viewpoint of the four men. While the story might have been engaging and well-crafted, I found it lacking in balance and depth. As a reader, I believe it's crucial to have a comprehensive understanding of all the characters involved, including their wives. Including the wives' viewpoints would have added valuable insights and allowed readers to form more concrete opinions about the events and interactions in the book.

Despite this reservation, I unequivocally rate "Man Mission" with five out of five stars. The novel boasts an intriguing plot, thought-provoking themes, seamless flow, and accessible language. Furthermore, it is impeccably edited, with the entire 388 pages free from errors. The professional editing shines through, ensuring a smooth and immersive reading experience.

I would recommend this novel to readers who enjoy character-driven stories that delve into the complexities of human relationships and personal growth. It could appeal to individuals who appreciate introspective narratives that tackle issues related to modern masculinity and the evolving dynamics of friendships and marriages. Additionally, readers who are intrigued by travel and outdoor adventures may find the book engaging due to its descriptions of various locations and thrilling activities. Overall, this novel could be recommended to those who seek a thought-provoking and emotionally resonant story that combines themes of personal relationships, self-discovery, and exciting adventures.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I've read this book, and I agree with your analysis. Thanks for such a riveting review.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

I've read the book from along time, It was a fun read especially the need to take a break from the life routine. I agree with your reservation besides I felt that the only well developed character was the protagonist the rest were just lines to support the storyline. Your review is well written and detailed I enjoyed reading it.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”