Review of Dying Well

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinelo Valerie Hero
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelo-valerie-hero.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Review of Dying Well

Post by Chinelo Valerie Hero »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dying Well" by Susan Ducharme Hoben.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What happens when you fight hard to reach the end of the tunnel, only to discover that it opens to a cliff?

Susan, a devoted wife and mother, has miraculously survived two life-threatening battles with breast cancer and a heart tumor. Grateful for her second chance at life, Susan and her husband, Bruce, decide to throw a grand celebration to commemorate their journey of survival. However, just when they begin to believe that their hardships are behind them, fate cruelly intervenes, and they receive the devastating news that Bruce, despite leading a healthy life thus far, has been diagnosed with cancer. This unexpected turn of events forces them to make a difficult choice.

Dying Well: Our Journey of Loss and Love by Susan Ducharme Hoben was a very sad book to read. Experiencing hardships is challenging enough, but what makes it even more heartbreaking is when hope is dangled before you, only to be snatched away. The fact that this story is based on true events made it all the more emotionally intense, and Susan's superb writing skillfully brought out the raw emotions.

One aspect I truly appreciated about this book is its abundance of life lessons. The core message I took away is that our ultimate fate is the same for everyone—we all die eventually. What truly matters is not the timing of our deaths but rather how we embrace and live our lives. Additionally, the deep and genuine love shared between Bruce and Susan resonated strongly with me; it left little room for regrets before his death.

There are many things I love about this book, but the way Bruce's impending death was addressed as an opportunity didn't sit well with me. The thought of getting the chance to put your affairs in order and say proper goodbyes to everyone you love before you die is heartwarming, but when I put myself in Bruce's shoes and imagined how miserable and scared he must have truly been, it became really hard to think of it positively.

I must commend the professional editing of this book, as I couldn't find any errors. The writing was impeccable, conveying honesty and purity in every word. Susan's courage in sharing her personal story with the world is truly admirable.

I rate this book five out of five stars for its exceptional writing, genuine emotional impact, and Susan's bravery in baring her soul. I highly recommend "Dying Well" to individuals whose partners are facing serious illnesses and to those who appreciate books that provoke them to reflect on their lives.

Dying Well
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Patricia Masipa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Patricia Masipa »

This is a sad story book indeed, had emotional impact, I recommend it for people who are affected or infected by this kind of illness. I does not have errors, true its very impressing I rate if 2 out of 5, because death can not be an opportunity for any one but something that nobody is expecting, when you write a book you must think of the people who are going to read the book, make sure they will be persuaded.
Jane Honda
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

This book was very emotional for me to read. Cancer is a very dread disease which is common today. This book focuses on how unpredictable life could be. Your review is amazing.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

What truly matters is not the timing of our deaths but rather how we embrace and live our lives.
I like this lesson. We don't have control over how we die, but we do have control over how we choose to live our lives. I think it is important to focus on that. I also adore that the couple's genuine relationship left them with little regret. Nice review.
Chinelo Valerie Hero
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelo-valerie-hero.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Chinelo Valerie Hero »

Silvia Idahosa wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 14:00
What truly matters is not the timing of our deaths but rather how we embrace and live our lives.
I like this lesson. We don't have control over how we die, but we do have control over how we choose to live our lives. I think it is important to focus on that. I also adore that the couple's genuine relationship left them with little regret. Nice review.
Thank you
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

Not many books make one emotional like this one. A book that provokes many emotions like this is one that shouldn't be missed. Thank you for your review.
Kene Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kene-active.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Kene Active »

This storyline is really a tragedy. It must be a sad one for Bruce and Susan. I only hope a miracle happened afterall. Meanwhile, I must commend the reviewer for an intruiging and easy-to-read review.
Nkem Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkem-blessing.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nkem Blessing »

I really feel for the couple. Both battled cancer. It's really life challenging. Nice review dear.more effort.
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

This is an amazing review. I love how you dissected every point that needed dissection and how you portrayed the message of the book, keep it up.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”