Review of Binge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Binge

Post by Kavita Shah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Binge" by Anne Pfeffer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Binge by Anne Pfeffer is a beautifully crafted story about Sabrina Hunter. Sabrina works for Josh Newman’s talent agency. When the story opens, Sabrina looks forward to some alone time with a Snickers bar. However, she must wait because Josh, her boss, requires her to bring him a hard copy of the script he wants to give to an upcoming actress named Alexa. From the start, the writing promises a riveting story.

Sabrina gets her dream-come-true moment when she receives a call from Kaitlyn. She gets elated after hearing the news that her book is getting published. But then Sabrina receives a seemingly impossible-to-accomplish request. It makes her fear that her dream will shatter before it even comes true. A twelve-step program may be able to help her, but will she be able to lose weight in time?

Sabrina gets into her best mode for losing weight; this is her quest, so to speak, to lose weight and learn something important about herself and life. Readers perceive Sabrina as a realistic figure with a school loan, a sister who relies on her, and a dream to be a famous published writer. Her thoughts and self-talk were amusing to read. Her funny comments and silly kill-me phrases—I liked these unique characteristics about her.

I had a fascinating time binge-reading Binge. The author’s captivating writing style and the plot kept me enthralled and engrossed enough that I finished reading it in only one sitting; there was never a dull moment to detract from my reading experience. The side characters, Lena, Stuart, and Josh, were well-developed, and it felt great to know them better. Stuart was the most memorable character; his change and growth were visible to readers.

I love the cover art. A girl in a popping red dress sitting in front of a mirror with books on her right and fast food on her left made me ask who she was and what her story was. After reading the book, I found the answers and gained insight into mindful eating, taking the first step, and more.

It deserves a perfect score of five out of five stars. The story was excellent, comical, and relatable. There is nothing I disliked about the book. A professional has skillfully edited the book, as I did not notice any grammatical or typographical errors.

If you think getting super thin is the best way to solve your problem, and if you overeat or are addicted to eating when you are sad or anxious, Binge will be a positive and uplifting book for all of you. After reading this book, you will find another perspective on yourself and see things in a new light. It certainly has a lot of humor, so if you are up for it, get yourself a copy today.

Binge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

Thanks for your review Kavita! I also liked how the author made Sabrina so relatable and added humour! I did find myself frustrated with Sabrina's choices sometimes haha
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Shally Z wrote: 22 May 2023, 02:51 Thanks for your review Kavita! I also liked how the author made Sabrina so relatable and added humour! I did find myself frustrated with Sabrina's choices sometimes haha
You're welcome!🤗 Very relatable and humorous, indeed. Yes, some actions of her can be a bit why did you do/not do that type.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sabrina's desires are similar to mine. Hmm, losing weight? I like that. It feels good to exercise but it also feels good to eat. Haha. I think I will enjoy the humorous piece of writing as promised. Thank you for your amazing review, Kavita!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Your review is admirable. I especially like the line where you enjoyed binge-reading Binge. It sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. Excellent review.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I absolutely enjoyed reading this review. I would love to read this book too. Thanks.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 22 May 2023, 03:20 Sabrina's desires are similar to mine. Hmm, losing weight? I like that. It feels good to exercise but it also feels good to eat. Haha. I think I will enjoy the humorous piece of writing as promised. Thank you for your amazing review, Kavita!
😄 It was hilarious, relatable, I guess like a Hallmark movie if I need to sum it up.
You surely will like it.
:reading-7:
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 22 May 2023, 04:00 Your review is admirable. I especially like the line where you enjoyed binge-reading Binge. It sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. Excellent review.
I had to write the binge line, it's binge time.
Thank you for reading Meghan, I hope you like it.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

zainherb wrote: 22 May 2023, 04:28 I absolutely enjoyed reading this review. I would love to read this book too. Thanks.
Thank you for reading zainherb! :tiphat: Hope you do get a chance to read it, it's great.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Kavita Shah wrote: 22 May 2023, 06:58
Meghan Soderholm wrote: 22 May 2023, 04:00 Your review is admirable. I especially like the line where you enjoyed binge-reading Binge. It sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. Excellent review.
I had to write the binge line, it's binge time.
Thank you for reading Meghan, I hope you like it.
I heard that! It's always a pleasure to read your reviews, Kavita!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I love the idea behind the book cover and title; books on one side and food on the other—I wonder: did she binge-write (lol, if such a thing even exists in the first place) or binge-eat? Or maybe she did both? Another question also springs to mind: how was she able to balance her job as an employee of Joshs talent recruitment agency and her passion/hobby as a writer? I like the your pun about binge-reading Binge😁.
Thank you for this excellent and suspenseful review, Kavita, it sure made me curious to know how it all goes down for Sabrina!
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Blackstenius wrote: 22 May 2023, 12:10 I love the idea behind the book cover and title; books on one side and food on the other—I wonder: did she binge-write (lol, if such a thing even exists in the first place) or binge-eat? Or maybe she did both? Another question also springs to mind: how was she able to balance her job as an employee of Joshs talent recruitment agency and her passion/hobby as a writer? I like the your pun about binge-reading Binge😁.
Thank you for this excellent and suspenseful review, Kavita, it sure made me curious to know how it all goes down for Sabrina!
Haha no idea. Could be binge-eat write or write binge-eat. And you're halfway on the plot already. You've struck the nail when you asked how did she manage. Thank you for the compliments!
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:
Have a great time reading it! :good-luck-smiley:
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a comical read with some bonus advice for those struggling with eating disorders and weight loss. Thanks for your interesting review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I like your comment about binge-reading the book. I have often been guilty of doing that. I like the cover of this book and the message. Thank you for a great review.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Alice in Scotland wrote: 23 May 2023, 06:00 This sounds like a comical read with some bonus advice for those struggling with eating disorders and weight loss. Thanks for your interesting review!
Thank you for reading and commenting Alice! :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:
Comical it is. :laughing-rollingyellow:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”