Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anabel Mack
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Anabel Mack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is a 327-page novel with 33 chapters written by Gary Robinson. It is an enthralling coming-of-age novel that seamlessly weaves the captivating worlds of circus performance and Native American heritage. This thrilling and thought-provoking story takes readers on a remarkable journey filled with self-discovery, friendship, and the pursuit of identity.

The narrative revolves around the unlikely friendship between Gary, a young Chico Indian struggling with his cultural identity, and Duke Reynolds, a sword swallower with a colorful past and undeniable magnetism. Set against the backdrop of a traveling circus, the novel expertly explores themes of heritage, acceptance, and the clash between tradition and modernity.

One of the many things I liked about this book was the author's writing style. It was vivid and immersive, effortlessly transporting readers into the vibrant and exhilarating world of the circus. His meticulous attention to detail shines through, creating a rich tapestry of characters and settings that come to life on the page. The author's deep understanding and respect for Native American culture add an extra layer of authenticity to the narrative, making it both educational and enlightening.

One of the book's greatest strengths lies in its well-developed characters. Gary and Duke are portrayed with depth and complexity, making them relatable and endearing. Their friendship evolves organically, creating a compelling dynamic that keeps readers invested in their journey. The supporting characters, such as fellow circus performers and tribal elders, add depth and diversity to the story, enhancing its richness.

Another thing I liked was how the pacing of the novel was generally well-balanced, with the narrative alternating between moments of heart-pounding excitement and introspective reflection. However, there are a few instances where the pacing feels slightly uneven, slowing the momentum. Nonetheless, these moments are overshadowed by the book's overall engrossing plot and compelling storytelling.

There was only one thing I disliked about this book: the idea of the art of sword swallowing did not bode well with me. It was hazardous, and because of how interesting it was, some readers, especially young readers, could get the wrong idea. I rate this book four out of five stars because of my dislike, as mentioned above. I did not find any errors, which means it was exceptionally well-edited. It is a must-read, and I recommend it to anyone seeking an immersive adventure and a more in-depth understanding of cultural heritage.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

This book was split into two parts talking about two different individuals whose lives are common in a way. The book aims at treating the issue of drug addiction and alcoholism.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

This book talks about issues that affects mainly the youths and have destroyed most of their lives. The effects and dangers of alcoholism were described comprehensively.
Olivia Reads
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-reads.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Olivia Reads »

The world of circus is filled with so many thrilling aights and excitement. Gary Robinson was able to successfully capture it in his book. Well done with your review.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

Sword swallowing sounded gross to me at first. Then, suddenly I started feeling the thrill of the talent. I was always on edge each time Gary swallowed a sword. Good review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Sword swallowing is a book I enjoyed reading, even though some of the events was quite gross, but I love how the author didn’t shield his reader from the truth of his past life. Well done!
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

Reading this book was an eye-opener for me. I used to hear about sword-swallowing but I never knew much about it. This book gave me a better perspective. Beautiful review. I enjoyed reading it.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson touches areas on self-discovery, friendship, and the pursuit of identity.
Oluebube Prisca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluebube-prisca.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluebube Prisca »

I love the reviewer grammar style and the book does sound intriguing. A friendship between two unlikely individuals with a unique past of their own.
Raphael Raymondd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raphael-raymondd.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Raphael Raymondd »

Reading this book feels like savoring a gourmet meal for the mind; the author's writing style is the chef's artistry, and the storyline's pace is the impeccable serving rhythm.
Nwojiji Victor
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwojiji-victor.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Nwojiji Victor »

With an author who crafts characters that you'll remember long after you've finished the book, and a storyline that races forward with relentless energy, this read is a must.
Vivian Onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-onwuka.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Vivian Onwuka »

Be prepared to lose track of time! The author's writing style weaves intricate tapestries of characters, and the story's pace is a dance that keeps you engrossed from the first step.
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

Dive into this masterpiece! The author's writing style is a canvas, painting characters that linger in your thoughts, and the story's tempo is a dance you won't want to end.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”