Review of Binge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Review of Binge

Post by Smrithi Arun »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Binge" by Anne Pfeffer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Binge by Anne Pfeffer is a fictional book that speaks about Sabrina Hunter’s struggles with her weight, appearance, and self-esteem. Sabrina works as an assistant to a Hollywood agent. She is exceptional at her job but believes that her appearance will get her fired someday. Overthinking leads to bingeing on food, and the tough-to-break cycle continues until she finally hears back from a publisher interested in publishing her book. With the dream of being a published author approaching fast, Sabrina must make several changes to her lifestyle as well as her mindset. Will the habit of overthinking and bingeing consume her, or will she emerge in a new light?

Sabrina’s character is unusually realistic and relatable. I commend Pfeffer for giving a fictional character so much depth. Sabrina’s behaviour and mindset are alarmingly similar to the mindset I had when I was a teenager. My food habits have not been as intense as Sabrina's, but I felt deeply sorry for her every time she binged and sabotaged her mild progress and willpower. However, I rooted for her throughout the book. It made me immensely happy when she achieved small milestones.

It was great to see Sabrina’s sister, Lena, and Lena’s boyfriend, Stuart, step up their game and sincerely support Sabrina. Stuart introduces her to a support group with a 12-step programme, which eventually encourages her to become active again and take control of her life.

I loved that the book never mentioned crash diets or exercise plans that could influence a reader to experiment. Mindful eating has been the only highlight throughout, along with loads of encouragement and support for Sabrina. Binge throws light on the fact that food addiction is just as real as addiction to alcohol or drugs.

The only issue I had with the book was Sabrina’s mindset in some situations. Most of the time, it was understandable where she came from, given her familial and self-esteem issues. However, it was painful to see her negative thoughts continue without much change, even in the later chapters. I was afraid that if Sabrina didn't gain confidence in herself, she would influence the readers negatively. Secondly, the idea of a meet-up being a date only if the man pays seemed outdated to me.

Finally, one particular sentence at the end changed it all and reassured me. Unfortunately, I cannot share it as it could be a potential spoiler. I would love to discuss the book with anyone who reads it and wishes to speak about it!

I think the storyline was quite gripping, so it is safe to say that I binged on Binge! I happily award the book 5 out of 5 stars based on my reading experience. Giving it a lower rating would be unfair since my concerns have vanished. As I hardly found any errors, I believe the book has been exceptionally well edited. Binge would be suitable for an audience above the age of 16. People below that age may not be able to process the complex emotions in the book. Moreover, those struggling with weight and self-esteem issues will highly relate to Sabrina. The book may be quite helpful to them.

Binge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Sarah Zain »

Your review is well written I enjoyed reading it. Nice to have supported people can encourage you to go on . The topic is very important and sensitive to some people, but seems from your review that the author handled it well through the story.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Uh, how I understand wanting to talk about a book so much but not wanting to spoil it. This book sounds amazing and you did a great job highlighting its strengths. I can tell you adored it. Good job! 👏
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I can relate to Sabrina's feelings. Sometimes my self-esteem is low and my negative thoughts strike. Sometimes, I have stressful eating. But I'm glad that the book seems to have a positive ending for Sabrina, and I wish I can find it out. Thank you for your clear and concise review, Smrithi!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Your enthusiasm can be easily felt through your well-written sentences, Smrithi. I can effortlessly tell you enjoyed reading this book. The passionate way you describe Sabrina and her struggle is captivating. I'm glad the book ended in a satisfying way for you. Finding the right support from your loved ones on your rainy days is something no one should take for granted. This is an excellent review, Smrithi!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Sarah Zain wrote: 29 May 2023, 08:37 Your review is well written I enjoyed reading it. Nice to have supported people can encourage you to go on . The topic is very important and sensitive to some people, but seems from your review that the author handled it well through the story.
Yes, she did handle it really well! Sabrina can make the reader feel supported and reassure them that they aren't the only ones going through these problems. Thank you for commenting!
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu wrote: 29 May 2023, 14:40 Uh, how I understand wanting to talk about a book so much but not wanting to spoil it. This book sounds amazing and you did a great job highlighting its strengths. I can tell you adored it. Good job! 👏
Thank you so much for the lovely words, Sara! This was one of those rare times when it became difficult to decide how much to reveal and what to hide. I hope we get to discuss a book sometime soon!
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 29 May 2023, 15:46 I can relate to Sabrina's feelings. Sometimes my self-esteem is low and my negative thoughts strike. Sometimes, I have stressful eating. But I'm glad that the book seems to have a positive ending for Sabrina, and I wish I can find it out. Thank you for your clear and concise review, Smrithi!
That sounds rough, Hazel :( Just like Sabrina took up a sport, maybe cultivating a new hobby can help with the craving for you too! Thank you for sharing your thoughts
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 29 May 2023, 18:03 Your enthusiasm can be easily felt through your well-written sentences, Smrithi. I can effortlessly tell you enjoyed reading this book. The passionate way you describe Sabrina and her struggle is captivating. I'm glad the book ended in a satisfying way for you. Finding the right support from your loved ones on your rainy days is something no one should take for granted. This is an excellent review, Smrithi!
Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words, Omneya! I'm happy you enjoyed the review :D
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Binger detected.🥁📸 I could definitely feel Sabrina reading my mind, and guess I was not alone. Great review Smrithi! I like how you've written a crystal clear review, well done!
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Kavita Shah wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 12:41 Binger detected.🥁📸 I could definitely feel Sabrina reading my mind, and guess I was not alone. Great review Smrithi! I like how you've written a crystal clear review, well done!
Haha yes! It was almost scary; the extent to which her thought process was so relatable. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment!
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Thanks for such an elaborate review. This book is a must-read for those who have image issues and those who struggle with unhealthy eating habits.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:

Post by Smrithi Arun »

ElinaT wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 05:55 Thanks for such an elaborate review. This book is a must-read for those who have image issues and those who struggle with unhealthy eating habits.
I agree with you, Elina. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant

Post by Shally Z »

Thanks for your review! I felt the same way about Sabrina's mindset and choices reading the book too and was worried about where it would lead...
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Shally Z wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 20:11 Thanks for your review! I felt the same way about Sabrina's mindset and choices reading the book too and was worried about where it would lead...
Thank you for commenting! I think the last chapter justified it. What did you think about the letter?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”