Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chee Amaka
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chee-amaka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Chee Amaka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I'm fascinated by circuses because they always have interesting things on display. Gary Robinson's The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is about Duke Reynolds, a sword swallower, and Gary Robinson.

The book contains three parts. Duke Reynolds and his experiences in life are the focus of the first section. He performs his skillful swallowing of swords in the circus. Duke carries on with an extravagant way of life since he believes in enjoying every moment. However, he runs out of money after the circus season ends. The second section of the book is about Gary Robinson. Gary was the most popular student in high school, but his alcoholism eventually took over. Then, the final section talks about their meeting. How do they influence each other's lives? To find out, get a copy.

The author takes his time to give the characters substance and depth by building them up. We gained an understanding of the characters' lives and the choices they made as they developed. Additionally, it allowed readers to gain a comprehensive understanding of the story. Addiction is a major theme in the book. The addictions of the two main characters had a devastating effect on their lives. They settled on horrible choices because of this enslavement. Gary is my favorite character; I believe he would have turned out better had he been properly trained.

I enjoyed the book, despite my wish for more action scenes. The book lacked nothing, in my view. It was easy to understand because the writing was clear and concise. The author worked really hard to connect the two characters, who come from different backgrounds.

I only found a few errors in the book. It was professionally edited. However, this didn't hinder my reading flow. I'm happy to give it 5 out of 5 stars.

The book was enjoyable to read. I recommend the book to people who love mystery, suspense, and circus shows. This book is for adults because it contains mature content.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kene Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kene-active.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Kene Active »

Addiction is really a killer. I wish Gary and Duke lived better. Thanks for an intruiging review. I'm propelled to read and enjoy this book too.
Nkem Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkem-blessing.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nkem Blessing »

This is such a good review i will read this book. But with your review, addiction is not a good idea
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I agree that it is an interesting topic and quite an enjoyable read. I did find it a little repetitive in parts though, but overall it was quite the rollercoaster of an adventure.
Jimmy Cyprian
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

I once had a friend in the circus. It was interesting to go watch him almost every night. I miss that. The way the author builds his characters is also astonishing. Thanks for your amazing review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson is an interesting story of two wayward people and how their life ended. There are plenty of life lessons in this book. Great book!
Udegbunam Miriam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miami-liam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Udegbunam Miriam »

A book about the circus, interesting! Duke Reynolds the sword swallower seems to lead a fascinating life I'd like to read more about. What did his meeting with Gary accomplish? I'll like to know these things and more. Interesting review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”