Review of Dying Well

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Collins Umunnakwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collins-umunnakwe.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Review of Dying Well

Post by Collins Umunnakwe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dying Well" by Susan Ducharme Hoben.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dying Well by Susan Hoben is an enthralling piece with a blend of love and sorrow. Death is a phenomenon that has beaten all attempts by medicine and science. And to this day, to keep the balance, all living things must die. In Dying Well, the spouses are diagnosed with incurable diseases, and this couple struggles to accept it. Of course, at times in life, we're faced with inevitably difficult choices—ones we'd rather not have to make. However, it's up to us to see the light at the end of the tunnel and live the best life possible. After all, we all die. Dying well gives us a clue about the ignored but important lessons we should learn about life.

Bruce has been diagnosed with incurable cancer. Life could be prolonged by medicine, but having a vast experience of coming across people who have lived and died, he learned a few lessons. Bruce chooses quality over quantity. Taking note of the little time he had left, he opted out of staying in the hospital to do more meaningful activities. He spent his time doing what he loved to do with the people he loved the most. At the end of the day, he died without a single regret. In his view, a life well spent
I like the way the author carries us along in her story, keeping us mildly in suspense while making sure we're not lost by placing a time stamp on each chapter. The book was also exceptionally edited and contains no errors. I also love the lessons being taught. A worthwhile life definitely supersedes a long one. I'll rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I do not have any dislikes for this book, and I've really been enlightened by the author's lessons.

I recommend this book to all and sundry, but especially to those who, or people close to them, are facing similar challenges. They'll learn that, definitely, every cloud has a silver lining.

Dying Well
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
MsChet Cherry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Death is inevitable but how lived matter the most.
Bruce made a great choice and died without any regrets.
The book sounds so intriguing and yet so inspiring.
Thanks for the well-written review.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

I appreciate your mention of the author's storytelling technique, particularly the use of time stamps in each chapter. It's evident that this approach keeps the reader engaged and prevents them from getting lost in the narrative. Your comment about the book's exceptional editing and lack of errors further emphasizes the quality of the writing.
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

This is an amazing book. I enjoyed everybit of your review, as it encompasses most parts of the book. The author also did a freat job too.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”