Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cresswell Henderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cresswell-henderson.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Cresswell Henderson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is a thrilling and action-packed adventure novel that takes readers on a journey to a mysterious and dangerous land known as Zona. The story follows the life of a professor, Dr. Grant, who teaches at the University of Chicago. When Grant's uncle, Randall, who is known to be a lover of adventures, goes missing during one of his planned excursions and is proclaimed dead by the court, Grant inherits Randall's flat and becomes the supervisor of his estate. However, as time passes, Grant, who was never satisfied with the closure of his uncle's death, soon discovers that there's more to it. He is forced to go undercover as he attempts to unravel the mystery behind his uncle's sudden disappearance.

Baker's writing is fast-paced and immersing, keeping readers on the edge of their seats as Dr. Grant battles his way through a variety of obstacles, meeting different interesting people who turn out to be both friends and enemies. The world-building in this novel is also impressive, with vivid descriptions of the exotic places in Zona. I must commend the author's inclusion of a map at the beginning of the book, as it greatly enhanced my understanding and immersion in the story. It helped me visualize the setting and better understand Dr. Grant's movements and the geography of the forbidden land, Zona. I also love how the author weaves together romance and mystery in this book. The love between Taylor Grant and Irina adds a huge chunk of realism to the story.

I admire the personality of Grant, who strikes me as a relatable and likable protagonist in this story. I have nothing negative to say about this book. Though I must say I didn't like how vulnerable Dr. Grant is in the story, I was expecting a much more unsusceptible character in Dr. Grant, but I guess the reader doesn't always get what they want. The supporting characters are also well-written and add enough nuance to the story.
I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because of its exceptional editing. Not often do we see books like this with so many pages yet without any errors. I must commend the author for his superb editing skills.

Zona: The Forbidden Land is a highly entertaining adventure novel that will appeal to fans of adventure, romance, and mystery books. Baker's storytelling is top-notch, with plenty of action, suspense, and intrigue. If you're looking for a thrilling and immersive read, Zona: The Forbidden Land is worth checking out.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jimmy Cyprian
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

This book sounds really interesting. The talking plants and animals and stuff. I wish it weren't a fictional place. I'd love to visit. Your review is interesting dear.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: The Courage of a Butterfly by Edmond E. Frank aka E. Egorhh Frank

Post by Robert Andrew »

The reviewer provides an enthusiastic review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker. They describe the novel as thrilling and action-packed, taking readers on a captivating journey to the mysterious and dangerous land of Zona. The reviewer highlights the protagonist, Dr. Grant, and his quest to unravel the mystery behind his uncle's disappearance, praising the fast-paced and immersive writing style employed by the author. They appreciate the variety of obstacles Dr. Grant faces and the intriguing characters he encounters along the way, who become both allies and adversaries. The reviewer also commends the author's world-building, emphasizing the vivid descriptions of the exotic places in Zona that contribute to the immersive reading experience. The inclusion of a map at the beginning of the book receives particular praise, enhancing the reader's understanding and visualization of the setting.
Jay Alex
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, book II: Spring by Dan Bar Hava

Post by Jay Alex »

Grant is my MVP in this story. I like how he was able to stand strong for his uncle and didn't mind what he would encouter on the search to Zona. An interesting read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”