Review of In Plain Sight

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Review of In Plain Sight

Post by Fola Moni »

[Following is a volunteer review of "In Plain Sight" by Susan Mallett.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

2020 was a year that would not be forgotten in a hurry. The world witnessed a pandemic never experienced before in this century. The fallout of this disease is still reverberating in the ensuing years. This book, In Plain Sight, by Susan Mallett, is a chronicle of the year 2022, two years after the pandemic started. It gives a blow-by-blow account of how the pandemic crisis changed the world and the other extraordinary events that happened that year.

Many of us thought we could return to our normal lives once the lockdowns were over. Alas, this was just a pipe dream. According to the author, a retired consultant anaesthetist, we are not out of the woods yet and might not be for a long while. Her carefully written narrative about the events of 2022 certainly proves that. Soaring energy bills, looming recession, public debts, education in shambles, etc., were some of the terrible effects of the pandemic pushing the world into chaos. Then there is the Russia-Ukraine war which caused gas prices to go through the roof. All these and other remarkable newsworthy information made the book very captivating and informative.

I like how local and international current affairs are explained in clear and simple language for anyone to understand. It helped me gain a clearer picture of world events and politics. The author’s sense of humour is evident in the amusing, sometimes scathing, remarks she leaves after each entry. She shares her personal opinions about some issues, which some people might feel offended by. For instance, her thoughts about Covid19 vaccinations might be unpopular in some quarters, but she backs them up with facts and research. I found the LaMDA news particularly fascinating. It is reminiscent of blockbuster sci-fi apocalyptic movies that Hollywood churns out yearly. Maybe they really know something we don’t.

I loved the book. There’s nothing about it that I dislike. It is astonishingly accurate and very informative. The author is articulate and well-informed, and her writing style is smooth and seamless.

I would gladly rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I only spotted one error, so it is professionally well-edited. I wouldn’t recommend it to a younger/sensitive audience because some events and information might be very triggering. Readers who love current affairs and politics would really appreciate this book.

In Plain Sight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I agree that the result of a pandemic is chaos. Systems are jumbled. Currently, it is still aligning with what was ordered before. This book will bring back memories of the pandemic events, and how it affects our current trend now. Your review is insightful, Fola!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for a cohesive review Fola_M! I'd love a 2022 international current affairs account that has humor too. The affect of pandemic has affected many sectors. And there could be something we're missing out on. Only time will tell. I'm going to add it to my want to read shelf.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Fola Moni »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 22:47 I agree that the result of a pandemic is chaos. Systems are jumbled. Currently, it is still aligning with what was ordered before. This book will bring back memories of the pandemic events, and how it affects our current trend now. Your review is insightful, Fola!
Thanks for dropping by, Hazel!
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Fola Moni »

Kavita Shah wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 00:15 Thank you for a cohesive review Fola_M! I'd love a 2022 international current affairs account that has humor too. The affect of pandemic has affected many sectors. And there could be something we're missing out on. Only time will tell. I'm going to add it to my want to read shelf.
Many thanks, Kavita! Yes, you should definitely read it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”