Review of Hold Your Breath

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Super-Delicious Mediterranean Diet Cookbook For Beginners by Janet Evans

Review of Hold Your Breath

Post by Chris Agbara »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hold Your Breath" by Rana Bitar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hold Your Breath by Rana Bitar is a poetry collection written during the COVID-19 pandemic. It offers a personal and poetic account of what it was like to be a doctor and a human being during a time of crisis and uncertainty. It also offers a glimpse into the mind and heart of a talented and compassionate poet and physician. The poems are short and simple, but they convey a lot of emotion and insight.

The theme of this book centers around the fragility and resilience of life. The author shows how life can be threatened and disrupted by forces beyond our control, such as a virus or a disease. She inspires us to hold our breath and to breathe deeply, to face our fears and embrace our hopes, to cherish our moments, and to share our stories. She teaches us how to live in a world that is both dying and surviving.

I like the honesty and vulnerability of the author. She does not shy away from expressing her fears, doubts, and hopes in the face of a life-threatening situation. She also shows compassion and empathy for her patients, colleagues, and family. I admire her courage and resilience in coping with the stress and trauma of her work and life. I also appreciate her poetic style and language, which are simple but powerful. She uses imagery, metaphors, and contrasts to create a vivid picture of her experiences and emotions. Some of her poems are like mini-stories that capture a moment or a memory. Some of them are like prayers or affirmations that offer hope or comfort. Some of them are like questions or reflections that invite the reader to think or feel along with her. I believe she has a unique voice and perspective that deserve to be heard and shared.

I do have some minor criticisms. One is that the book is very short, and I wish it had more poems. Another is that the book is very personal and subjective, and it does not offer much context or background information on the pandemic or the author's work. Some readers might find it hard to relate to or understand some of the poems without knowing more about the situation or the author. A brief introduction or a note from the author at the beginning or end of the book would have been helpful to provide some clarity and perspective.

I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. This book is a remarkable and moving work of poetry that deserves recognition and praise. The author has done a great job of capturing and conveying her experiences and emotions during the pandemic. The poems are well-written, expressive, and impactful.
The reason I did not give it a full 5 stars is because of the minor criticisms I mentioned before: the book is too short, too personal, and maybe too emotional for my taste.

I will recommend this book to anyone who is interested in poetry, medicine, or the pandemic. This book is worth reading for anyone who wants to understand the personal and professional impact of the pandemic on a doctor and a poet. This book is perfect for anyone who wants to understand what life was like during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Hold Your Breath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I agree with you that the book was too short. However, the poems were enjoyable and I liked Rana's creativity, the imagery and symbolism used to convey her message. This is an awesome review!
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This kind of book is my cup of tea. I like books dealing with emotions and I see from this book. I like how the author shares her vulnerability with her readers, as well as her poetic style of writing. Your review, Chris, is exceptional!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”