Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen Chizzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-chizzy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

Post by Helen Chizzy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I always enjoy reading exciting children's books to my baby brother. His expressions and awe always spur me on. Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi was a book we both enjoyed. The book also had a lot of lessons that he could pick up. It centers around Inca and her siblings and their adventures in Korea. Missy, their humanoid mom, had just been invited as a judge in a cooking competition. At this same event, she plans to publicize her creation, a new cheese. The entire cat family is glad to hear the news of the journey.

After a close call with the cheese at the airport, they arrive at their host's home, Ye-jun. While there, they learn that Ye-jun and his sister had been recently separated. His sister, Ji, and her cat, Bo-Mi, lived in North Korea, while he, Ye-jun, and his dog, Baram, lived in South Korea. However, Ji will be attending the cooking competition. The humans, Solo and Ye-jun, plan to cross the DMZ. Inca and Co., realizing how dangerous this could be, plan to reunite the siblings. Would their plan work? Or would national peace be threatened? There's only one obvious way to find out.

The first thing that attracted me to this book was the cover; a cat in a dress is not an everyday occurrence. Learning that this was the eighth book in the series almost turned me off. I feared I would not understand the story, but I was glad to discover that the book was a perfect standalone. The author did an excellent job weaving this fantastic story, filled with adventure and lessons. Inca is quite an amazing cat; reading this book will teach children to appreciate their pets more. Her level of coordination in solving some of these mysteries is endearing. I also liked her brother, Fromage, although he seemed to appreciate cheese more than his siblings.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the idea it passed on about snooping. Inca went through her owner's belongings to get information about her missions, which could send the wrong message. Apart from that, every other thing was beautifully represented. The illustrations were catchy and pleasant. The font size is also appreciable. The book also teaches many lessons like kindness, devotion, and even diary keeping, as the story was portrayed as Inca's diary. For the above reasons, this book receives 5 out of 5 stars from me.

I only encountered a few errors while reading, indicating that this book was professionally edited. I also recommend it to children between 6 and 10, particularly those who enjoy adventure, detective, and animal stories.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

I agree with your review. I have read this book and I must say that Inca's intelligence is unmatched. Thanks for the amazing review.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Kene Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kene-active.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Kene Active »

I'm not a fan of animals or books about them but I admire that this book teaches good morals like unity, friendship, courage and many more.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

I can agree with you that a cat in a dress will definitely look odd. This is an interesting book I would love to read. I enjoy children story and everyone can read this one. Well done on the review.
Jimmy Cyprian
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

You can't blame Inca fr snooping around. I would have done same thing out of curiosity. It's a basic human feature.. hehe 🙂 Thanks for your amazing review though.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

I remain intrigued by the origins of the detective agency and how it came to be. The news surrounding Inca and Company has gained widespread attention, and we anticipate further ventures from them. This book encompasses an array of captivating themes that are sure to captivate and excite children.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

This was a wonderful book. It's not everyday you stumble on books with cats as detectives. It was quite entertaining, and I'm sure a lot of kids will enjoy it. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”