Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Naghma Qureshi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R. F. Kristi is the eighth book in the Inca Cat Detective Series. It is a children’s book about a cat, Inca, and her friends, comprising cats, dogs, and a hamster. Inca and her partners run a detective agency called Inca & Company. The book is about their adventurous experiences in South Korea. Inca and her friends travel to South Korea with their humanoid mom, Missy, who is invited to judge an international chef competition. On their trip, they meet new friends and encounter new challenges. Who do they meet that changes the course of their trip altogether? What challenges do they face that they find worthy enough to risk their lives for? Did they succeed in their endeavor, or did they pay the price for the risks they took? Read these captivating experiences, as narrated by Inca, to find out the answers.

I liked the writing style, which is small, simple sentences but full of expressions. I could imagine the characters playing in front of my eyes. Going by the cover and style, it may seem like a simple children’s story. But once I went beyond a couple of initial pages, I found the plot interesting as well as unpredictable. That kept me glued to the book till the end. The story weaves in various themes around culture, world peace, family bonding, and cooperation. There are also plenty of simple and colorful illustrations.

There was absolutely nothing that I disliked about the book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I couldn’t put it down once I started. The only improvement I would recommend is in the illustrations. The illustrations are mainly about the characters, with only slight details about any scene. I would have loved to see some more pictures that revealed more details about the scenes.

I found quite a few grammatical errors. Just for that reason, I am taking one star away. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5.

It is a great book with interesting characters, simple traits, and good messages for everyone. The writing style and animal characters make it an easy and engaging read for children. The plot, cultural and political references, and twists make it interesting for adults too.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I want to know how the trip of Inca and her friends end up in South Korea. I think their adventure is interesting to read about. Your review is wonderful, Naghma!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Naghma Qureshi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 05:25 I want to know how the trip of Inca and her friends end up in South Korea. I think their adventure is interesting to read about. Your review is wonderful, Naghma!
Thank you Hazel. I am glad you liked it.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

You're welcome, Naghma.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”