Review of Bi-Polaroid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Super-Delicious Mediterranean Diet Cookbook For Beginners by Janet Evans

Review of Bi-Polaroid

Post by Chris Agbara »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bi-Polaroid" by David Samuelson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

My guess is that Bi-Polariod by David Samuelson is a book containing entries from the author's personal diary. I'm guessing because the book has no introduction, and the contents of the book leave me with no sufficient clue. The book contains short stories, unfinished stories, poems, written letters, quotes, and something like a math formula. One constant is that the entries are dated.

I was quite puzzled as to why someone would put a book together in such a disorderly manner, but it began to make sense when the author stated that he was battling with his mental health. At that point, I began to give the book more serious thought.

With an unprejudiced mind, I would say the contents individually are unique. The short stories are some of the best I have ever read. They are characterized by stories that artistically end in the opposite direction of your ideal prediction. The poems are thought-provoking and easily understandable. The letters addressed to some named lovers are some of the most romantic love letters I have ever read.

The first challenge with this book is that, considering the mental status of the author, it should have gone through other professional hands before publishing. The book could have been comfortably separated into maybe four, if not more, independent books. Again, the book lacks proper editing; there were some avoidable errors.

Nonetheless, I will rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. I think my experience with the book was both bitter and sweet. I enjoyed the short stories the most. My reason for deducting 2 stars is because of the reservation mentioned above.

I would recommend this book to people who want to experience the unique and highly imaginative mind of a mental health patient. People interested in poems and short stories with themes of love and comedy will find this book interesting. Also, people interested in science fiction may want to check this book out. The author has a fully developed story that looks like the Avengers series.

Bi-Polaroid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

The book's love letters and its short stories sound like some of the best ever composed. That makes the book interesting to read; however, the disorganization seems like quite a big turn-off.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sending my love to David Samuelson. I know how hard to deal with mental issues. I applaud how brilliant and courageous he was in writing this book. I wish that the book undergoes second editing to come up with the best of it. Your review, Chris, is amazing!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”