Review of Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem

Post by Kavita Shah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem" by Dr. Frank L. Douglas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas is a book that deals with workplace discrimination. This book comprises 222 pages in e-book format. The author created SHD and a reframing method to assist black individuals who face systemic discrimination. This book will help them reframe their problem, and SHD will assist them in finding a better problem to solve.

In the introduction, the author states the purpose behind the emergence of SHD—Safe Haven Dialogue. Part one tells us the motivation behind this book. The first chapter introduces the concepts of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and the new concept of Equity, Inclusion, and Individual Engagement Principle (EIIEP). The second chapter takes the reader through the steps involved in the SHD Reframing Process. And part two shows us the application of the SHD Reframing Process through 18 case studies.

When I first started reading the book, the language employed in the first part was unfamiliar to me. It felt like paperwork. However, after rereading it a few times, I became familiar with the language. The diagrams helped a lot to grasp concepts like the Equity-Inclusion Culture Matrix. I like the idea of the culture matrix, which classifies aggrieved individuals into four categories. It aids in breaking down their problem and providing appropriate assistance.

The second part, with the case studies, was the most educational for me. The author writes to-the-point sentences, and the language is comprehensible. And as the author intended, the case studies enabled readers to take a walk in the shoes of the aggrieved. After I had walked in the shoes, I realized that if it were me, I, too, would have gotten angry, worried, anxious, and maybe even sought help from a medical professional. SHD’s potential solutions were also feasible, as they had taken a realistic approach to the problem.

One negative is that the case studies used lots of short forms. And several short forms did not have a complete form until later in a different case study, or sometimes not at all. I suggest adding the full form once beside the short form when they appear. But this negative is not reason enough to deduct a star.

I rate it four out of five stars. I gave it four stars for all the above reasons, and I deducted one star as I found over ten minor typographical and space errors.

I recommend it to managers and employees to read this book. They can find useful information related to systemic discrimination and some possible solutions. I also recommend it to readers interested in learning about SHD and taking a walk in the shoes of the 18 individuals.

Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

I can't agree more about the abbreviations . That's so helpful that we agree on that ; I was skeptical that is only me who didn't get it from the first time☺️. Great review as always and I enjoyed reading it Kavita.👏
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sarah Zain wrote: 27 May 2023, 08:37 I can't agree more about the abbreviations . That's so helpful that we agree on that ; I was skeptical that is only me who didn't get it from the first time☺️. Great review as always and I enjoyed reading it Kavita.👏
Yes Yes Yes, I couldn't agree more. The abbreviations were not universal, a glossary for abbreviations at the beginning of the case studies should be added.

You're most welcome Sarah! It's great to hear your thoughts and read your comments.
(ノ^o^)ノ
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

This statistic holds credibility, and it could potentially be even higher if there weren't managers, mentors, and colleagues who genuinely appreciated and promoted inclusivity and recognition based on merit. This problem arises in any situation where there is a chance to discriminate for various reasons. I have personally experienced and received support from others, aiming to establish a shared understanding and solidarity.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

Fergie Jessica Edeni wrote: 27 May 2023, 10:23 This statistic holds credibility, and it could potentially be even higher if there weren't managers, mentors, and colleagues who genuinely appreciated and promoted inclusivity and recognition based on merit. This problem arises in any situation where there is a chance to discriminate for various reasons. I have personally experienced and received support from others, aiming to establish a shared understanding and solidarity.

Thank you Fergie for sharing your thoughts. I very much agree with you on the need for rules and officials to organize the evaluation process fairly among employees. And I am very sorry that you went through such an experience, but at the same time I'm happy that there are positive personalities who supported you to solve this problem.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

That's a very impressive review, Kavita. I admire your intellect for reading such a loaded book. I don't think I will be able to concentrate enough to understand the abbreviations used by the authors. Thanks for the thorough review, but I will be skipping this one.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Taking the shoes of others or the 18 individuals in this book is something difficult to imagine. Discrimination must handle properly in the workplace. It must not allow anywhere. I'm wondering how I react to this book when I read it. Thanks for your wonderful review, Kavita!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I'd like to know more about SHD, and I agree that it's hard to understand how victims of discrimination feel unless you trade places with them. This book sure seems like a useful read for managers to help them assist victims of all kinds of workplace prejudice and discrimination. Thanks for the amazing review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an educative book. The acronyms in your first two paragraphs made my head spin--I thought it was getting late and I needed to eat dinner, but your comment about the number of them in the book supported my reaction.
Thank you for your balanced take on this read, Kavita!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I really liked your perspective of the book..it would really be interesting to see people applying some of the solutions in their workplaces. I found it very intriguing and I want to know more about those strategies.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Fergie Jessica Edeni wrote: 27 May 2023, 10:23 This statistic holds credibility, and it could potentially be even higher if there weren't managers, mentors, and colleagues who genuinely appreciated and promoted inclusivity and recognition based on merit. This problem arises in any situation where there is a chance to discriminate for various reasons. I have personally experienced and received support from others, aiming to establish a shared understanding and solidarity.
It's nice to have good mentors and colleagues who practice inclusiveness.
More power to you Fergie!
This book will definitely increase awareness, I couldn't believe at times how bad the situation of systemic discrimination were. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts Ferigie!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 28 May 2023, 15:49 That's a very impressive review, Kavita. I admire your intellect for reading such a loaded book. I don't think I will be able to concentrate enough to understand the abbreviations used by the authors. Thanks for the thorough review, but I will be skipping this one.
It sure is a loaded book. I only knew that I knew after I read the book. But the concepts and case studies both were quite informative.
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts Omneya. Have a great day.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 28 May 2023, 16:24 Taking the shoes of others or the 18 individuals in this book is something difficult to imagine. Discrimination must handle properly in the workplace. It must not allow anywhere. I'm wondering how I react to this book when I read it. Thanks for your wonderful review, Kavita!
Thank you Hannie for the comment!♥
That's true, a difficult task indeed. But a real Eye-opener. I like your thought, but sadly some people despite knowing it's wrong still do it.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Blackstenius wrote: 30 May 2023, 04:33 I'd like to know more about SHD, and I agree that it's hard to understand how victims of discrimination feel unless you trade places with them. This book sure seems like a useful read for managers to help them assist victims of all kinds of workplace prejudice and discrimination. Thanks for the amazing review.
You're most welcome Blackstenius! It sure can be a new way to be the one in the victim's shoes and face their problems. Have a nice day!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

MsH2k wrote: 30 May 2023, 18:28 This sounds like an educative book. The acronyms in your first two paragraphs made my head spin--I thought it was getting late and I needed to eat dinner, but your comment about the number of them in the book supported my reaction.
Thank you for your balanced take on this read, Kavita!
Sorry for the dinner spinner. ╮(—▽─)╭
But decoding, reading all acronyms sure took away all the brain cells one might need to read. Considering the content that was useful, informative, and specifically about systemic discrimination, and it's intended audience group might be familiar but not the average reader, I took note of it but gave it the rating I did.

Have a good breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Eat healthy and Stay healthy. Good day!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”