Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shally Z
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Shally Z »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

5-year-old Donny and 10-year-old Mary Grace face a big change in their lives when their parents decide to serve as missionaries in Africa. The two children must move across the country to live with their grandparents in Santa Barbara, California, for the next two years. Donny is a happy child with Down’s syndrome and looks forward to living with his grandparents. However, Mary Grace is more reluctant to relocate to California and has a harder time settling in at the start.

Donny and Mary Grace’s California Adventures: A Grandma Gang Mystery is the first book of the Grandma Gang Mysteries series by Catherine A. Pepe. In this book, readers meet a cast of interesting characters, including all three members of the Grandma Gang who helped the police solve the 7-Eleven mystery. One of these members happens to be Grandma Cathy. The Grandma Gang works with Mary Grace to solve a pressing mystery that’s affecting her personally at school.

I enjoyed reading this book and seeing how the children handled the changes and challenges that came with such a major change in their lives. I liked how the author covered some important issues, such as bullying, and presented the experiences of someone with special needs.

I can’t think of anything negative about this children’s book. I thought it was a heart-warming story with an interesting mystery that celebrated children with Down’s syndrome and special needs. It was interesting how the book is dedicated to the author’s younger brother, the “real” Donny, who had a daily mantra that “today is the best day of my life!” and a very positive personality. The author notes that the book is fiction, but some events and characters were inspired by real people and incidents. It’s also lovely to know that 10% of the net proceeds from the book are donated to the Special Olympics.

I am very pleased to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is a wonderful children’s book that celebrates our individual differences and teaches important life lessons about being kind to others. I thought this book was a great introduction to the characters and the series. The book was also professionally edited, as I only noticed one error.

I recommend this book to all children, as it has an interesting mystery and discusses important issues such as bullying and including people with special needs.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the positive review Shally! That Mantra is the best. 😁 I also liked the story+the real life inspired characters.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I love this book. Like Donny, I always energize myself with my everyday mantras. That's how I motivate myself. I wish I possess the optimistic side of Donny every time. I have a heart for those who have special needs as I can relate to them. Thank you for your beautifully written review, Shally!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

Your review is refreshing and detailed. I loved reading that book .
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Kavita Shah wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 21:47 Thank you for the positive review Shally! That Mantra is the best. 😁 I also liked the story+the real life inspired characters.
Thanks Kavita - I have to agree. It's such a positive way to see the world and reminds me to be grateful for what I have :)
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 22:17 I love this book. Like Donny, I always energize myself with my everyday mantras. That's how I motivate myself. I wish I possess the optimistic side of Donny every time. I have a heart for those who have special needs as I can relate to them. Thank you for your beautifully written review, Shally!
Me too - I wish I could be as optimistic as Donny! I think this book was wonderfully written and love that it supports people with special needs. Thanks for your kind and encouraging words.
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Sarah Zain wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 01:28 Your review is refreshing and detailed. I loved reading that book .
Thanks for your support Sarah! I loved reading and reviewing the book too :)
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book, too! Donny and Mary Grace are such sweet children. I'm happy Mary Grace had the Grandma Gang by her side.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Smrithi Arun wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 04:11 I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book, too! Donny and Mary Grace are such sweet children. I'm happy Mary Grace had the Grandma Gang by her side.
I agree with you there. The Grandma Gang are such a bunch of interesting characters, I'd love to have my own Grandma Gang in real life! Thanks for stopping by :)
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This was such a refreshing book! The author addressed several social issues thoughtfully and in a way that children would understand. I also appreciated the multi-generational friendships that formed as they solved the case. Thank you for your excellent review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

This is an excellently detailed review, Shally. I enjoyed reading this book very much, I couldn't disagree with you. It was heartwarming to read about the real person behind the author's inspiration. Thank you for this amazing review!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

MsH2k wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 18:12 This was such a refreshing book! The author addressed several social issues thoughtfully and in a way that children would understand. I also appreciated the multi-generational friendships that formed as they solved the case. Thank you for your excellent review!
Thanks for your comment! I feel the same way, I think it's a good book for children to read since it teaches us to be more accepting of all different types of people.
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 19:36 This is an excellently detailed review, Shally. I enjoyed reading this book very much, I couldn't disagree with you. It was heartwarming to read about the real person behind the author's inspiration. Thank you for this amazing review!
Thanks for your kind words and support Omneya!
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

This a beautifully detailed review of the book. I agree it is heartwarming to read the person behind the author's inspiration. And I loved Donny positive and energetic little self too. And I also like how the elders in the story handled their relationships with the kids and each other.
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Fawmi Jumana wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 22:09 This a beautifully detailed review of the book. I agree it is heartwarming to read the person behind the author's inspiration. And I loved Donny positive and energetic little self too. And I also like how the elders in the story handled their relationships with the kids and each other.
Thanks for your comment Fawmi😌 there were so many things to like about this book

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”