Review of Love and Marriage

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review of Love and Marriage

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Love and Marriage" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Love and Marriage: Cartoons About Imperfect People Managing Their Most Important Relationships by Art Hartz is a non-fiction graphic novel that delves into relationships, why people are still single, and what men and women look for in partners, either sexual, romantic, or both. The author conveys most of his messages through illustrations and pictures that are very clear, and his brief notes before each chapter aid in understanding the cartoons.

I enjoyed the humour incorporated in this book; for example, some illustrations depict how women seemingly prefer excitement and risk to honesty and kindness, which is tagged as boring, even when there are glaring red flags with the former. There are also illustrations depicting how some women only care about a man’s status without learning more about his personality, men who select women solely based on their looks, and women who concede to lowering their standards in their attempts to find a partner. However, there were some jokes that I didn’t understand, and they just flew over my head.

One negative aspect is that the book doesn’t impart any new knowledge. It just talks about struggles in relationships that are already known, albeit in a fun way. I didn’t like that most girls who had difficulties finding Mr Right were drawn to be on the big side. The illustrations also didn’t follow a pattern, making it often difficult to understand the author’s point. There were several cartoons with different messages in each chapter, and I often had to go back to the author’s notes to remind myself of the main message.

All in all, this was a light, fun read. I particularly enjoyed a statement in one of the cartoons on page 62 that stated: “Men keep score with heartless conquests, women with heartless rejections.” There was also an illustration of a woman with a necklace made from men’s heads (don’t worry, it’s not as gruesome as it sounds) to depict those who saw dating as a sport. I’ll rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I took away a star because of the negative aspects I mentioned earlier.

Love and Marriage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

You have expressed the points of the book in a detailed way. I liked the way you describe it. The title of the book and its cover made me think it introduces new viewpoints; I don't see much of this kind of reading very often , but from your review it seems taken from a lighter approach, it is not a heavy read. Wonderful review.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I just finished reading this book. Indeed, it was a very light read, but I did find a few words of wisdom from the author, especially in the introduction sections. I enjoyed reading your review. It is refreshing to read different perspectives on the same book. Excellent job! 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I wish I can grab this book. It sounds like I can learn about what's the red flags and what is not. I enjoyed your amazing review, Chinazo!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Sarah Zain wrote: 29 May 2023, 18:25 You have expressed the points of the book in a detailed way. I liked the way you describe it. The title of the book and its cover made me think it introduces new viewpoints; I don't see much of this kind of reading very often , but from your review it seems taken from a lighter approach, it is not a heavy read. Wonderful review.
Thank you, Sarah!
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 30 May 2023, 10:11 I just finished reading this book. Indeed, it was a very light read, but I did find a few words of wisdom from the author, especially in the introduction sections. I enjoyed reading your review. It is refreshing to read different perspectives on the same book. Excellent job! 
Thank you, Omneya!
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 30 May 2023, 16:47 I wish I can grab this book. It sounds like I can learn about what's the red flags and what is not. I enjoyed your amazing review, Chinazo!
Thank you, Hazel!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Chinazo Anozie wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 15:17
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 30 May 2023, 16:47 I wish I can grab this book. It sounds like I can learn about what's the red flags and what is not. I enjoyed your amazing review, Chinazo!
Thank you, Hazel!
You're welcome, Chinazo. I'm excited to read more of your reviews!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Seems to be a sort of help book on relationships. Thanks for the honest review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Hartz discusses serious topics in the most engaging and fun ways. I like his style. One would easily mistake some of his books for children's books because of the catchy illustrations.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Thank you very much for indicating the salient details of this book. Although I agree with what you mention, I would like to read this book to have my own point of view. Thank you very much for your excellent review.
Ezra Dapaah
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezra-dapaah.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ezra Dapaah »

The review shared on Love and Marriage is greatly written but I will love to read the book to my understanding of what the book carries in itself.
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

An adult cartoon book filled with humour sounds like a book that I will love to read. I will love to know more about red flags. I hope the book reaches the right audience. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”