Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priya lekshmy P V
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-lekshmy-p-v.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Priya lekshmy P V »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Tysz‘s novel We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies talks about the kingdom called Voulhire, which is divided into different cities such as Alcovia, Hillport, Magnum Caelum, Soulhire, Odaiamar, etc. Each city has distinct geographical features that set it apart. The protagonist of the story is Galen Bray, a refugee from the island of Princes. His uncle, who lives in Magnum Caelum, deemed Galen Bray his only heir before his death, leaving Galen Bray with immense wealth. Overnight, he became a citizen of Voulhire. He wanted to follow in his uncle's footsteps and become a smith. The story tells about the challenges he faces when doing so. It also focuses on the mysteries that surround the land called Hillport. Eldus, as the new lord of Hillport, wants to facelift the city as the greatest exporter of lobster. But what awaits him is something different.
The story was intriguing and enjoyable to read. The clarity of the storytelling was excellent. The writer`s way of slowly building up tension between each character was commendable. The best part was Eldus's confrontation with the attackers. It kept me on the edge of my seat, cheering for Eldus. Eldus, watch out! I was screaming. The author narrated it exceptionally well. Conflicts between the Mianoran Council and King Wilhelm, Riva Rohavi, and Voulhire have been clearly shown. The reader's curiosity is piqued by how these conflicts devolve into chaos when the magical realm (caromentis) is engaged. It is exceptionally well edited.
The story is complex, and the writer covers stories in almost all areas of Voulhire. Language can be difficult for some readers, as I also have to reread some lines to comprehend them. But I don’t want to reduce a star for that. Instead, I appreciate the author's effort in preparing a map, a description of each character at the beginning, and a reference guide at the end, making it easier for readers. At first, the description of each guard's attire was interesting, but later it was overwhelming for me. So I found those parts the least interesting.
I recommend this to those above fifteen years of age who are interested in the fantasy genre. It has magic and politics as its key foci.
I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars because the story was gripping. Incredible writing. I can't wait for the second book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”