Review of The Trafficking Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rob Carr
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Review of The Trafficking Murders

Post by Rob Carr »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Trafficking Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you were promised a lifeline out of a life of struggle and poverty only to find that when you get there you have stumbled into something worse? That is the fate of Matei and Alina, who have found themselves trapped in a people trafficking ring.

What if, after the death of your friend, you decide there is no option but to get away from those controlling your life? Once you have left, where do you go next? How can you be safe from your former masters? That is the struggle of Lin Hui, on the run from those who have trapped her.

Trying to unpack it all is Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan and his team of detectives. After a young Chinese girl is found poisoned in someone's garden and they discover a series of people are missing, Sheehan and his team stop at nothing to get to the bottom of the mystery.

Brian O'Hare's The Trafficking Murders is a murder mystery novel set in Northern Ireland, where a people trafficking network has been operating. The book goes into the harsh realities of modern slavery and people trafficking while you try to piece together who the mysterious Shadow is who seems to be behind it all.

While the book is number 5 in the series, it stands alone. You do not need to have read the earlier books in the series to follow and enjoy the story.

I enjoyed the gradual development of the plot as I read through the book. The characters are relatable, and you find yourself rooting for them. Like any good mystery book, it has a grand reveal at the end where all of the pieces of the puzzle you are drip-fed through the book are finally put together.

Modern slavery is a huge problem globally, and the general public underappreciates how significant an issue it is. Many people believe slavery is something that was long ago dealt with in Western countries. It is great to see books like this picking it up as their theme and giving the issue wider public exposure.

The book is professionally edited. I didn't find any significant errors while reading it.

I didn't have anything significant I disliked about the book. However, in the early chapters, some of the characters are defined almost exclusively by their race as their defining feature. For example, one of the characters is initially described only as "a handsome black man". More detailed descriptions of the characters early on would have been good, so they are easier to visualise.

Overall, I rate The Trafficking Murders 5 out of 5 stars. It is a really enjoyable read that deals with an important topic, and there are no significant issues with the book.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good murder mystery or is concerned about issues with human trafficking.

The Trafficking Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

The plot here may be not the favorite read for me .But the trafficking as a main topic moving the events is good choice if dealt with it well. And it seemed that's the case here . Well written review Rob I enjoyed reading it .
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:

Post by Rob Carr »

Sarah Zain wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 20:35 The plot here may be not the favorite read for me .But the trafficking as a main topic moving the events is good choice if dealt with it well. And it seemed that's the case here . Well written review Rob I enjoyed reading it .
Thank you Sarah!
Chinelo Valerie Hero
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelo-valerie-hero.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Chinelo Valerie Hero »

Hey Rob, this is a nice review. All the questions you asked spiced up the review and piqued my curiosity and now I want to read the book.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:

Post by Rob Carr »

Cocoa Hero wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 15:10 Hey Rob, this is a nice review. All the questions you asked spiced up the review and piqued my curiosity and now I want to read the book.
Thanks Cocoa, I hope you enjoy it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”