Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by SINGH JAY »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Of Zots and Xoodles, author Zarqnon the Embarrassed describes the tale as a stylistic fusion of Lewis Carroll, Dr. Seuss, and Douglas Adams. This perfectly captures the situation. Theodil is battling with dots (zots) and noodles (xoodles) to create things like time and matter while he is in a place outside of place and a time outside of time. This book simplifies the universe's origin so that everyone can understand it through engrossing descriptions of Theodil's experimentation and the yells of gathered atheists.

Despite being brief, this book has a lot of impact. I finished it in one sitting because of how engaging the language was. In order to craft a story that is brimming with lyrical expression, Zarqnon (the author's pen name, which he chose particularly for his own entertainment) employs rhyme, alliteration, personification, and many other literary methods. There were times when I had the impression that I was flying through the cosmos, or rather, standing before it. Other times, as I stood motionless at the edge of something spectacular, the opportunity was lost in a rearrangement of xoodles. It was a very distinctive experience.

I recognized Seuss the most out of the three authors Zarqnon mentions in his description of the book. Particularly in response to Theodil's conduct, the congregation used such humorous language. I was struck by one in particular: "Could we, should we, have time tied up in a knot? The past, the future, already planned, neither forgotten nor a worried blemish, never determined by stain or spot? "I do not like them, Sam I Am," is a line that immediately brought me back to my early years. This novel would be improved if I added a playwright's style, which is what I would do. The chorus and hypocrites are paralleled by Theodil's acts and the congregation. Zots and Xoodles contribute significantly on a cultural and scientific level.

The book's major flaw, despite the magnificent language and flawless flow, may be considered to be this. There were a few places where I had to go back and read paragraphs again because there were so many words. Additionally, some relatively lengthy sentences had ambiguous meanings. I was mostly able to follow along with the words, getting carried away with the imagery while still comprehending the principles being taught. Unfortunately, I encountered getting lost just frequently enough to be quite distracting. Even if the complex concepts are presented through zots and xoodles, those who are not accustomed to thinking scientifically may find it difficult to grasp them.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The work was quite carefully edited, and I discovered no error in it. It is the kind of thing that can make you consider important issues. The purpose of our presence is unclear. What brought us here? Why are things set up the way they are? This book would appeal to those who are curious and up for a challenge. Additionally, I would recommend this to science fiction readers who do not mind a little poetry mixed in with their science. As I indicated previously, folks who have trouble thinking rationally might find this challenging. Try it nonetheless. It caught me off guard. You might be surprised by it as well.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rosandra Hosein
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Great review. It sounds pretty quirky though. I'm not sure if this book is for me, but I'm interested.
Rosandra Hosein

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”