Review of The graveyard and other poems

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review of The graveyard and other poems

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The graveyard and other poems" by Mae Bea Sayes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Graveyard and Other Poems by Mae Bea Sayes is a collection of poems with mostly sombre, melancholic, and morbid themes. The poems are written in free verse and have some musical melody. In fact, I think they will make great songs. They are morbid in the sense that the first part of the book contains poems mostly centred on death, graveyards, the fate of souls who are no longer of this world, and the hereafter. It also has some romantic themes; for example, the poem “Cathy and Heathcliff” was about lovers reuniting in death, while others centred on lovers who were apart, either separated by death or some other unknown reason.

One of my favourites was a poem called “The Ocean”, which was the author’s homage to the sea. I also like the cover; it aptly depicts the overall moody theme of the book. Some of the poems may be difficult to understand because the author does not often use clear words—although this may appeal to poetry lovers who enjoy analysing and deciphering hidden meanings in poems.

The book’s last chapters are about the author’s recollections of her early childhood. These did not really read like poems but were more like long rhythmic stories. I did not like that they did not conform to the darker themes of the book’s first part. It was a very jarring difference for me, and I felt they should not have been part of the book but could have formed a different book.

I will rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because of the negative aspects I mentioned earlier. This book was professionally edited; there were some errors, but they were not enough to deduct another star. I will recommend it to fans who enjoy obscure poetry with hidden and varying meanings.

The graveyard and other poems
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I love how you summarize the book, Chinazo. I understand what the book is all about. Though you wrote an amazing review for this book, I am still picky in terms of reading it as some poems must be difficult for me to understand.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

I like to read poetry sometimes, but the topic here is taken from a slightly dark side, and therefore it is not my favorite topic
I was very impressed reading your review, which gave me a clear analysis of the parts of the book. Well done 👏
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I liked the way you summarised and analysed the book and how you included all the aspects. I'm not a fan of poetry, and the dark theme and difficult words certainly don't help here. So I don't think I will be reading this one. However, you did an impeccable review!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I like how you describe this book. Thanks for your review.
I really like poetry and this book also has a different touch, I would like to read it soon.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 16:52 I love how you summarize the book, Chinazo. I understand what the book is all about. Though you wrote an amazing review for this book, I am still picky in terms of reading it as some poems must be difficult for me to understand.
Thank you, Hazel.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Sarah Zain wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 16:53 I like to read poetry sometimes, but the topic here is taken from a slightly dark side, and therefore it is not my favorite topic
I was very impressed reading your review, which gave me a clear analysis of the parts of the book. Well done 👏
Thank you, Sarah.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 17:17 I liked the way you summarised and analysed the book and how you included all the aspects. I'm not a fan of poetry, and the dark theme and difficult words certainly don't help here. So I don't think I will be reading this one. However, you did an impeccable review!
Thank you, Omneya.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Bettny Andrade wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 16:44 I like how you describe this book. Thanks for your review.
I really like poetry and this book also has a different touch, I would like to read it soon.
Thank you, Bettny. I hope you enjoy it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”