Review of Stress Test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marg Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marg-silva.html
Latest Review: OOF by Strobe Witherspoon

Review of Stress Test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy

Post by Marg Silva »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Stress Test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy" by William Cooper.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Stress test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy” by William Cooper is a compilation of previously published political opinion columns. These columns, written by the author, underscore a significant period in our history concerning American democracy.

American politics have long held sway on the global political stage. Yet, in recent years, the world has grown more polarized, with America appearing to be at the epicenter of this divide. This increasing polarization is notably associated with Donald Trump's presidency.

The columns’ compilation span from July 2019 to March 2022. These insightful pieces expound upon the threats posed to American polity, largely underpinned by the dangers of misinformation and misjudgment propagated by Donald Trump.

The author meticulously delineates specific events throughout these tumultuous years to sustain his thesis, illustrating how America's democracy was jeopardized and its political debate degraded by fabricated narratives. He underscores how Trump's words and actions often ran counter to America's fundamental ideals, and the alarming number of norms violated not just during his tenure, but also before and after his presidency. Cooper posits how the four essential principles of American democracy - fidelity to the Constitution, respect for the rule of law, commitment to rational governance, and the sanctity of free and fair elections - were put through a stress test during the Trump era.

This book delves into various significant events including Trump's impeachment, ongoing investigations, and threats to civil and human rights. It also scrutinizes the Presidential election, the COVID-19 pandemic, and the infamous Capitol riot. Furthermore, it dissects the actions of Congress and the Supreme Court, thereby underscoring the importance of fidelity to the Constitution and the danger of political criminalization.

The author explains each event comprehensively, and the chronological division and well-corroborated arguments maintain the reader's engagement. Moreover, it is very easy to read and well-structured.

What I found particularly striking were the carefully selected quotations introduced in each chapter. Each one was thoughtfully chosen and relevant to the topic under discussion.

I think it is important to highlight that this book is not an indictment of Donald Trump. Instead, it presents a balanced analysis of how Trump's actions symbolize a dangerous shift in American politics and a threat to its constitutional principles. At the same time, the author admits that various other political entities also share blame in certain contexts. Cooper doesn't shy away from criticizing Democratic politicians for exacerbating the nation's partisan politics and risking specific processes during their pursuit of Trump's first impeachment. He also acknowledges America's self-interest and selfishness in matters of international aid.

Chapters dedicated to exploring the phenomenon of "confirmation bias" and the priorities of Americans' Google searches were especially intriguing and pertinent. They enable the reader to appreciate the significance and impact of open discourse, credible information, and media influence on contemporary issues. I also appreciated how the author finishes the book by giving his perspective on the potential paths forward.

I really enjoyed reading the book and deepening my knowledge of the topics described. I cannot fault any aspect of the book, as I believe it strikes a balanced tone, with the author consistently presenting his views through elaborate arguments. It appears to have undergone professional editing, as I encountered no errors or issues related to editing. Based on all the comments above, I believe it deserves a 5 out of 5 stars rating .

I recommend this book to anyone with a keen interest in politics, especially those seeking to comprehend the current challenges of American democracy and the underlying reasons for these issues.

Stress Test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”