Review of 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Crimlis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-crimlis.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Review of 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir

Post by Julie Crimlis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir" by Poppy Mortimer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir and Lessons Learned Along The Way by Poppy Mortimer is a hilariously funny memoir spanning 20 years of Poppy's life. You'll laugh and gag simultaneously while reading this funny, feel-good novel. We follow Poppy from the time she reaches twenty until she turns forty on a hilarious journey of 28 odd and delightfully horrible dates. Our adventure begins in England, continues to Perth, then LA, and concludes in Melbourne. You are thrown around on this rollercoaster of awful dates, from poor personal hygiene to obvious rage issues.

Poppy's writing style is simple and straightforward. It made for a quick and easy read. Mostly because I couldn't put it down. Her use of first-person narrative made it feel like I was having a chat with a bestie over a lovely hot cup of tea while she entertained me with her hilarious adventures. By the end of the book, thanks to Poppy's frank and hilarious writing, I felt like I knew her.

I really enjoyed how Poppy used each challenging date as a teaching opportunity throughout the book. She makes the most of each incident to discover a little more about herself and decide for certain what she is and is not looking for in a mate. Her writing reflects her upbeat personality. Even some of the books she has read in her quest for a better version of herself are mentioned.

The only criticism I have is how incredibly envious I am of her confidence and amazing life. She is a spunky, intelligent lady who knows her worth and pursues her goals. Poppy cannot be stopped! I am even jealous of her love of theme parks and roller coasters. Like some of her dates, I'm just not as brave as her. But really, I didn't find anything about this book to dislike. It has clearly gone through thorough editing, as it is flawless. I didn't find a single error. I would easily rate this book five out of five stars and would highly recommend it to anyone seeking a lighthearted quick read.

28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julie Crimlis

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”