Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aakash chaudhary 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aakash-chaudhary-1.html
Latest Review: Why Does Government Need to be Funded? by Amphidromus

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Aakash chaudhary 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Title: We are voulhire A new arrival under great skies by Matthew Tysz.

Rating: I give this book 4 out of 5 stars because it has a really good plot, a very realistic setting and the author has an amazing writing style and structure. Even with the multiple perspective changes, the book was still a very enjoyable read. I took off a star due to foul language. It is also very well edited and there were no errors of any kind.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is a political fantasy set in the fictional nation of Voulhire. Matthew Tysz has used the first book of the series to build up an interesting premise for a political and magical power play. The book begins with the phrase "Once there was...", which is reminiscent of a fairy tale and makes you settle back in your chair and get immersed in a new and exciting land.

When Galen Bray gets a chance to move from the war-torn Lands of the Princes to Voulhire, which is in its Golden Age, his life changes. To him, everything about the country is perfect. But away from his eyes, different political games are going on, threatening the perfection.

Even though We are Voulhire is a work of fiction, Matthew Tysz manages to present the stories with so much verisimilitude that one is tempted to search the world map for the city of Voulhire. The writing style is brilliant, the author isn’t garrulous, and the language use is flawless. Though We are Voulhire contains some religious words and priests, it isn’t a religious book, so anyone with interests in fiction could read it irrespective of one’s religious beliefs. By the way, the book contains some vulgar languages and some references to sex, but that does not remove from the enjoyability of the book.

This is the first book of a saga, definitely an interesting read for any fantasy fan.
"One of the things I enjoyed the most was the reflections the author makes through dialogs, thoughts, or situations about human nature. He cogitates about power, corruption, and spirituality among other thoughts concerning human life and behavior. The book’s greatest strength lies in its storytelling. The first thing that strikes me about this book is world-building. The author does a great job of developing the country of Voulhire in all its complexity. I was also impressed with the author's attention to detail, as evidenced by the extensive descriptions of Voulhire, its various regions, and the unique customs of its people. The narrative is sprawling and intricate, filled with a unique mythology, history, and characters that inhabit this world, giving the reader a full and immersive experience.

What I dislike in the book is that there were a few words I had to look up the meaning to, which got frustrating. Its always great learning new things and new words, it just gets frustrating when you need to stop reading something you are engrossed in, to look up something so you understand better what is going on.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this review are based on my personal reading experience of We are Voulhire: A new arrival under great skies by Matthew Tysz. Individual opinions may vary.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”