Review of Brian, Created Intelligence

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Brian, Created Intelligence

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Brian, Created Intelligence" by AJ Pagan IV.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The novel Brian, Created Intelligence, by AJ Pagan IV, follows Tom, Drake, Eve, and Ellie in a future world as they strive to create a human brain for Dipol. Ellie was recruited directly from college because of her success in creating Photofish, the first plant-animal hybrid. Drake was recruited because of his success in clinical psychology. Eve had experience with artificial intelligence, and Tom was the supervisor. He ran the BOS (brain operating system) software that made it possible to regulate Brian, the newly created brain.

Brian eventually becomes so powerful that he is capable of managing an entire mining operation. When things go wrong there and employees are killed, will he be required to bear the brunt of the consequences? Jonathan Volt of DARPA, the Corporate Technologies Division of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, thought he should. It was up to Ellie and Tom to find evidence to clear Brian’s name, and they had to do it from thousands of miles away. Using virtual reality made it doable from their current location.

It was not until almost halfway through the novel that I became really interested in this book. Up until that point, I had to make myself continue reading. I realize that some readers will be fascinated by the amount of scientific language, but I was not. Ellie’s attitude was also a problem for me. She was very smart, that’s true, but she seemed to consider only her opinion and no one else’s. I was discouraged, too, by the fact that there were no chapters. Everything was divided by the date on which it happened.

I did like that Eve and Ellie were both intelligent, strong women. They really had to be in order to stand up to Tom, Joe, and Jon. Marcy, Tom’s wife, also exhibited these characteristics, but she wasn’t a major player in the novel. The editing was not perfect, but it did not cause me any problems.

I’m going to give this book a rating of 3 out of 5 stars. There was a lot of profanity in this work, and even though that is the way people talk and think, I found most of it unnecessary. I didn’t find any sexual situations in the book, and I appreciated that. I will recommend this for those readers interested in AI, what it can do, and how it is used. Those who are interested in mysteries will probably enjoy this as well. Overall, it was a pretty good read once I got past the scientific stuff.

Brian, Created Intelligence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Zain
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

Technology and AI, despite their benefits, make me feel a kind of anxiety just thinking about what they can do to the world. The review is thorough and well written. Thank you for your honest opinion Amy.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Sarah Zain wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 03:01 Technology and AI, despite their benefits, make me feel a kind of anxiety just thinking about what they can do to the world. The review is thorough and well written. Thank you for your honest opinion Amy.
It does have to be regulated. :tiphat:
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I wonder why all AI-related books always cater to the “robots will take over humans” notion. They push people to fear futuristic technology instead of showing its positives as well. This is a well-constructed review, Amy!
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Smrithi Arun wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 15:16 I wonder why all AI-related books always cater to the “robots will take over humans” notion. They push people to fear futuristic technology instead of showing its positives as well. This is a well-constructed review, Amy!
I think AI has tons of great possibilities, though I do recognize the potential for misuse. :techie-studyinggray:
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It seems that Brian faces the questionable killings of miners. That part of the book piqued my interest. How powerfully Brian handles it. Or I misunderstood something? Your review is intriguingly well-written, Amy.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 03:35 It seems that Brian faces the questionable killings of miners. That part of the book piqued my interest. How powerfully Brian handles it. Or I misunderstood something? Your review is intriguingly well-written, Amy.
Brian is really interesting! :techie-studyingbrown:
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

AI still keeps me on the fence because of the advantages as well as disadvantages it poses for human. But Brian seems really interesting specially I'm curious about how he handles the incident of killings of the miners. Your review was lovely Amy.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the splendid and honest review Amy! Brain - Brian. Shows how creative name it is. It will be difficult to proving him innocent and being many mikes away. It's like the movie I, Robot. So did he really kill the employees?
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Fawmi Jumana wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 04:46 AI still keeps me on the fence because of the advantages as well as disadvantages it poses for human. But Brian seems really interesting specially I'm curious about how he handles the incident of killings of the miners. Your review was lovely Amy.
It is a little scary, but worth it, IMHO. :tiphat:
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Kavita Shah wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 00:10 Thank you for the splendid and honest review Amy! Brain - Brian. Shows how creative name it is. It will be difficult to proving him innocent and being many mikes away. It's like the movie I, Robot. So did he really kill the employees?
Thanks for commenting! :techie-studyinggray:
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I like these kinds of books a lot, I would like to be able to read them soon. This kind of technology can be so interesting, and actually programming it is a real challenge.

Thank you for your honest review.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Bettny Andrade wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 19:16 I like these kinds of books a lot, I would like to be able to read them soon. This kind of technology can be so interesting, and actually programming it is a real challenge.

Thank you for your honest review.
This technology is going to be so useful if we can control it. :lire4:
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Thank you for this review. I'm definitely into Sci-Fi stuff, so the concept of AI and "Brian" definitely sounds interesting. This has given me a better idea of what to expect from the book.
Rosandra Hosein

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”