Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ben Mount
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-mount.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Ben Mount »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The occurrences of the Kingdom of Voulhire are described in Matthew Tysz's historical fiction book. It combines science, magic, and imagination.

The main character, Galen Bray, is from the Land of the Princes, where he was raised amid a conflict between three brothers. On his deathbed, his longtime uncle asks him to assist in running his forge. His buddy Rowan, also his uncle's executor, aids in acclimating him to his new circumstances. The monarch of Voulhire, Wilhelm Arcolo, is a gentleman who cares about the progress of the realm. Midius Maido, the Chancellor of his Kingdom, constantly challenges him because he thinks the monarch is insufficient. Wilhelm is trying to find a means to keep Riva Rohavi, the Voulhirians' longtime foe, away from them. The kingdom has yet another adversary in Dalehei Meldorath. He used to be the king's close buddy. The king finds that Meldorath has been practicing forbidden and harmful magic, and he locks him up. Voulhire is about to be hit by a powerful storm. Who will step forward to help them?

I think this is an excellent book. Anyone who has read historical fiction will like the fascinating narrative and the author's creativity. It's humorous in a shady way. The author took his time to describe each kingdom, city, person, and set. It will make it easier for readers to picture each scene.

The story develops slowly. It took a while to get going because the author spent most of the book introducing new concepts. I only have two favorite characters in this book. Both the monarch and Lord Eldus are there. Their efforts show how genuinely concerned they are for the populace. It would be wonderful if today's world still had real leaders like them.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies has a few elements that I don't like. Particularly with the unique individuals the author would sometimes introduce to play a pivotal role, it's too entangled and perplexing. The absence of character and storyline development affects the story's inventiveness. However, this book seems to be the beginning of the series. There didn't seem to be much else to it; it seemed as though the author merely utilized the whole book to establish the people and towns. I hope the author performs better in the series' subsequent volume.

I'll give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted a star because of the flaws I mentioned above. Despite my dislikes, I found this book to be entertaining. Excellent steps were taken while writing the book. There were a few errors in the book. It has nice editing. Action series fans would appreciate this book. Fans of magic and fantasy will also love reading it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”