Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Zain
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Sarah Zain »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Love, support, and continual appreciation are among the most important things any child needs in order to be psychologically and socially happy, and a lack of these may have an adverse effect on the child's behaviour. In Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures: A Grandma Gang Mystery by Catherine A. Pepe, we get to know the Millers, the family consisting of the father, John, the mother, Jen, the ten-year-old daughter, Mary Grace, and her five-year-old brother, Donny, who has Down syndrome. They lived in Wichita, Kansas, in a happy, loving, cooperative family in a way that showed in all their behavior. Despite the difficulties, they appreciated the importance of one another and the blessings they had.

Until Mary returned from her friend's house one day and her parents told her that they had to go to Kenya, Africa, for two years, they decided to move her and her brother Donny to live with their grandparents in California. The news changed her features from happiness to sadness; she was moving to a new place devoid of everything she knew and without her parents. Despite all this, Mary tried, for her brother's sake before herself, to adapt to this new life with the help of her grandma, Cathy and her friends. As soon as she began to settle down, a note appeared on her desk at school, bullying her brother's condition and threatening them with harm if they didn't leave the town. How did Mary react? Will she face this bullying? What role did those around her play in helping? And did they discover the bully? All of these you will come to know by reading this wonderful book.

The story immersed me from the beginning, as I kept repeating throughout the first pages, "Where are you, Donny? Where did you go?" and I wasn't reassured until I reached the point where they found him. The book was such a pleasure that I didn't get tired of it even for a moment. I liked Mary's character a lot, from her love for solving mysteries to the extent of her kindness and understanding of her brother's condition and her constant attempts to make him happy and protect him. The support of the family represented by Grandma Cathy led me to a quote we say: "The dearest children are the grandchildren." The love and support of grandparents are exceptional, and their presence is a true blessing.

The book discusses the issue of bullying, how to deal with it, and how to accept others, even with their differences, and gives examples through characters of the impact of adults' behavior on children, in addition to the need for home and school cooperation. The author was able to deliver the idea smoothly and in a manner that approached reality, and this appeared in the conversations during the story. But what I liked the most, and what brought a smile to my face, was Donny's constant enthusiasm.

There's nothing that disturbed my reading or diminished my appreciation of the book, although I would have preferred to have more illustrations expressive of the story, which would have made the book closer to an age group younger than six years old. Another thing that caught my eye was the reference to the parents, even in conversations, as Mr. and Mrs. Miller; their first names appear only twice. With all that I mentioned previously, this didn't affect my evaluation of this well-edited book; therefore, it deserves to be rated 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to everyone, starting with children at age six, as it is as much for adults as it is for children. I really hope that we learn and teach our children to accept others, even if they are different from us. The author carefully dealt with the issue of bullying and treated it with well-written events and carefully written characters.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

A very well-written review! It got all the essence of the book. Thank you for the deep analysis :)
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Our differences make us unique and beautiful. Even the trees have scars, even the flowers don't force them to bloom, humans are in the same boat. This is how this book somehow teaches us. Thank you for your incredible review, Sarah!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

ViviVivid wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 15:12 A very well-written review! It got all the essence of the book. Thank you for the deep analysis :)
Thank you ViviVivid for your kind and uplifting words.
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 16:43 Our differences make us unique and beautiful. Even the trees have scars, even the flowers don't force them to bloom, humans are in the same boat. This is how this book somehow teaches us. Thank you for your incredible review, Sarah!
You are so right Hazel. Every and each one of us has his or her own potential and character. Thank you for taking time to comment 💗
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

It is refreshing to read another perspective. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book as much as I did. Mary Grace has done her best to ensure the safety and comfort of her little brother. Thank you for this amazingly written review, Sara!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

Loved this book, especially the example the adults set in it! Donny was also completely endearing. I also really liked the emphasis placed on Mary Grace’s handling of her issues at school as well as the fact that her parents are across the world, yet she attempts to make the best of her situation even though she struggles at times. Great review!
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 19:48 It is refreshing to read another perspective. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book as much as I did. Mary Grace has done her best to ensure the safety and comfort of her little brother. Thank you for this amazingly written review, Sara!
Thank you for your constant support Omneya. I agree with you Mary was a beautiful character.
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Bethany Kroeger wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 21:18 Loved this book, especially the example the adults set in it! Donny was also completely endearing. I also really liked the emphasis placed on Mary Grace’s handling of her issues at school as well as the fact that her parents are across the world, yet she attempts to make the best of her situation even though she struggles at times. Great review!
Thank you Bathany. The adults engaging in the events were very positive aspect, that I really admired.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

You’ve analyzed the book very well, Sarah! It truly is a blessing to have supportive grandparents around. I agree with your point about the illustrations and the observation about Mr. and Mrs. Miller’s first names. You’ve done good job with this review!
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Smrithi Arun wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 05:18 You’ve analyzed the book very well, Sarah! It truly is a blessing to have supportive grandparents around. I agree with your point about the illustrations and the observation about Mr. and Mrs. Miller’s first names. You’ve done good job with this review!
Thank you Smrithi for your encouraging words. It kindly reminded me of my late grandma so it was a very good read to me that I want it to be better.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

What a good review. I really enjoy how Mary Grace tries to make things better for her brother. Even though she is not sure, she makes the best of the situation.
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Amy Luman wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 14:44 What a good review. I really enjoy how Mary Grace tries to make things better for her brother. Even though she is not sure, she makes the best of the situation.
Yes she did. Thank you Amy for taking the time to comment.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I agree with you that the book is immersive right from the very start. I kept looking for the little Donny at the start and then their dance moments brought a large smile on my face. I really enjoyed you review just as much as I enjoyed the book.
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Fawmi Jumana wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 08:24 I agree with you that the book is immersive right from the very start. I kept looking for the little Donny at the start and then their dance moments brought a large smile on my face. I really enjoyed you review just as much as I enjoyed the book.
Thank you so much Fawmi for your kind words. The penguin dance was so cool and sweet, it brought a smile on my face too.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”