Review of Binge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: A third is darkness by Murray Bailey

Review of Binge

Post by Nancy004 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Binge" by Anne Pfeffer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Binge by Anne Pfeffer is a compelling novel that delves into the depths of insecurity and self-acceptance. The protagonist, Sabrina, grapples with her body image and a compulsive eating disorder, leading to a loathing of herself and her appearance. However, her life takes an unexpected turn when she stumbles upon a support group specifically tailored for individuals struggling with compulsive eating.

At first, Sabrina is hesitant, skeptical about the effectiveness of the support group. But with a glimmer of hope, she decides to give it a chance, setting off a transformative journey that intertwines self-discovery, personal growth, and even a blossoming romance with a captivating love interest.

As Sabrina's life takes an exciting turn, she receives an unexpected call from a publisher expressing interest in her writing. The opportunity to become a published author brings forth a mix of emotions, both exhilarating and anxiety-inducing. While she dreams of seeing her book in print, Sabrina must face numerous obstacles that relentlessly haunt her every night, threatening to impede her path to achieving her ultimate goal.

My favorite part of Binge is its realistic portrayal of the protagonist's eating disorder. This novel stands out from the typical feel-good stories where the main character miraculously overcomes their struggles and achieves a perfect, thin figure. Instead, it delves into the gritty reality of battling an eating disorder, where even on good days, the protagonist can still stumble into an eating binge. Through her vivid storytelling and relatable characters, Pfeffer sheds light on the internal struggles many face and the transformative potential of embracing oneself.

I give the book a perfect rating of 5/5 as there is nothing I dislike about it. Additionally, I must commend the editor for their impeccable work, as I did not come across any errors in the text. So it's safe to say that this book has quickly become my favorite read on this platform.

Binge is a captivating tale that not only entertains but also resonates on a deeply personal level. Readers will find themselves rooting for Sabrina as she navigates the challenges that come with self-improvement, romance, and the pursuit of her dreams. Pfeffer's novel is a heartfelt reminder that true beauty lies not in the way we look, but in our ability to embrace and love ourselves for who we are.

I highly recommend this book to individuals grappling with eating disorders or struggling to love their bodies. It is also a must-read for those who appreciate introspective narratives, realistic portrayals of personal growth, and the transformative power of self-acceptance. This thought-provoking novel offers valuable insights into these themes, making it a worthwhile choice for a diverse range of readers.

Binge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

In my experience, eating disorders have been a life-long battle for those that I know. How refreshing to have such a realistic experience shared with readers through this book. I am sure that it will provide understanding and encouragement for many. Your book review is extremely well-written and filled with helpful details. Well done!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Poor Sabrina! It's got to be awful not to like yourself. Lots of people need to learn that their worth has nothing to do with how they look.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 13:02 In my experience, eating disorders have been a life-long battle for those that I know. How refreshing to have such a realistic experience shared with readers through this book. I am sure that it will provide understanding and encouragement for many. Your book review is extremely well-written and filled with helpful details. Well done!
Being someone who battles with episodes of overeating, I can confidently affirm that this book captures the reality of the situation. Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad the review resonated with you
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Amy Luman wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 14:59 Poor Sabrina! It's got to be awful not to like yourself. Lots of people need to learn that their worth has nothing to do with how they look.
The book beautifully portrays the protagonist's journey of discovering that self-love should not be dependent on one's appearance. It's heartwarming to witness her transformative and challenging path.
Thank you for sharing your views!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”