Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leratlhelo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leratlhelo.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Leratlhelo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Dream For Peace narrates the true tale of Dr. Ghoulem Berrah. He was born in 1938 in a small town called Aïn Beïda, Algeria, which was located in the Constantine province. His days as a young boy included memories of football games, some of which turned sour after losses by the home team. He remembered his father, Hamadi Berrah, even though he died when Ghoulem was just five years old. He remembered his mother, Lalla Zabida, fondly. She was married to Hamadi when she was a teenager, a rather common occurrence at the time.

In the book, Dr. Ghoulem Berrah captured his life fully. He shared his growth into a man, a freedom fighter, a physician, and later, a Special Advisor to the president of Côte d'Ivoire, Felix Houphouët-Boigny. The book also has personal stories about struggles and romance.

I am quite certain that this was one of the most extensive memoirs I have ever had the pleasure to read. It felt complete. I felt like I got to know the author very intimately. I loved the political moments captured, but I loved the tender and vulnerable moments better. The author wasn't afraid to lay it all down.

I am a believer in that everyone has flaws and that we make mistakes. Sometimes, authors of memoirs try to paint such a beautiful picture of their lives that they neglect to share the less ideal moments of their lives. I loved that the author was candid about some of his flawed life moments, but overall, I felt like the book needed a better balance between the good and the bad sides of the author's life. His relationship with his last wife was almost too perfect to be believable. I would have appreciated knowing about their trying times more as a couple.

Other than that, there wasn't anything bad about the book. It's simply magnificent. I have nothing else to critique, and I feel that the book deserves a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I found no errors in the book, which meant that it was edited exceptionally well.

I think that the person who would fully appreciate this book is someone who stays atop current affairs, enjoys politics, and loves reading memoirs. I think that the book contains a lot of historical moments that would make anyone with a love of politics and current affairs very happy.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”