Review of The Islands Tell Of It

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of The Islands Tell Of It

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Islands Tell Of It" by Patty Fischer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer is a thriller about madness and supernatural legends. It emphasizes the investigation of some horrific serial attacks and an ancient curse of craving human organs. Also, this book presents themes such as crime, mythology, and teamwork.

Briefly, the 34 chapters of this book focus on the detective work of Glenda McMahan and her partner, Luther Charles. The bizarre attack of a creature on Melanie Rossen seems unreal to Glenda, and when the victims keep appearing, each with the same story involving the supernatural, she begins to see things from a new perspective. Who is the attacker? Are the victims' accounts nonsense or terrifying truths?

I liked the mixture of horror and supernatural fiction, especially since the whole scenario was shrouded in mystery surrounding the creature that could change its shape and had magical powers. The intriguing plot was the key point of this thriller. For instance, I loved that the author managed to keep me in suspense from the first chapter through the first victim's terrifying story that made me doubt its veracity. Also, I appreciated that Patty Fischer illustrated the murderer's backstory because I could understand the reasons for the brutal attacks.

There was no aspect I disliked about this book. Although I was most captivated by the shocking plot, I also liked the character development, especially regarding Detective Glenda. For example, I appreciated how the author highlighted her vulnerability during the strange case and empathized with her night terrors as the investigation progressed. Also, I loved the teamwork of Glenda and Luther in order to find the criminal.

I enjoyed the suspense created by the legend from the Philippines and liked the fast-paced narration. I appreciated that the descriptions of the crime scenes did not overwhelm me with endless details, and I loved that the thriller had similarities with Mr. Hyde's story. I love Glenda's sarcasm and her theories about the investigation. Also, the book was professionally edited since I discovered only a minor punctuation error. Therefore, I cannot rate it less than 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to fans of supernatural and mystery books, especially those interested in ancient legends about unborn babies. It is perfect for people who like shape-shifting characters but not for those who may be sensitive to disturbing descriptions of cannibalism. Also, the thriller is suitable for a large audience because it has borderline profanity and no explicit erotic content.

The Islands Tell Of It
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”