Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is an enthralling adventure story combining elements of science fiction, mystery, and thriller. The idea of an uncharted region in Siberia harboring exotic animals and secrets is fascinating, and the journey into this mysterious place full of intrigue, danger, and discovery catches the readers’ attention.

This novel has many positive aspects, such as the fact that the character of Dr. Grant Taylor is multilayered, complex, and very relatable. While drawn to Zona by his lover and the mystery surrounding his missing uncle, Grant's natural scientific curiosity and desire for truth drive his actions. His character development as he navigates a perilous expedition into the unknown, learning to trust his instincts while questioning the motives of others, makes him a fascinating protagonist. The other characters, though briefly introduced, are also diverse and multidimensional enough to enhance the storylines of adventure, mystery, and human relationships.

Zona's world-building itself is exceptionally detailed and believable, drawing readers fully into this speculative yet scientifically plausible landscape. Descriptions of exotic plants and animals, the terrain and conditions, and the undiscovered secrets just beneath the surface create an immersive and memorable setting. The narrative balances multiple storylines with fluidity and finesse. But there is also a juxtaposition of wonder with peril, of fascinating discoveries with treacherous threats, making the book even richer and complex. Besides, I could not find a single error while reading this book, so I can say with confidence that it was exceptionally well edited.

Overall, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for its masterful blend of complex character development, scientifically grounded yet vividly imagined world-building, and fast-paced adventure storytelling. Baker's writing craftsmanship shines through from beginning to end as he draws readers deep into a world both wondrous and dangerous, populated with diverse characters and mysteries just waiting to be uncovered. The resulting story is mesmerizing, keeping the reader enthralled from the first page to the last. This novel is a suspenseful, thought-provoking adventure that science fiction fans will not want to miss. Nevertheless, I do not recommend it for minors because it has adult content and some violent scenes.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

The book's pacing is spot on, blending moments of heart-pounding action with introspective moments of self-discovery. It strikes the perfect balance between excitement and reflection.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Adventure and suspense are themes that always capture my attention. This book seems interesting, so I will keep it in mind for a future read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”