Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sa-rah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sa-rah.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Sa-rah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is an ongoing series coated smoothly and perfectly in fantasy by the writer Matthew Tysz. Upon opening the book, you will find a map on which Tysz incredibly describes different parts of Voulhire. The story begins with the running of a bright-eyed boy named Gallen from a war-torn area to the small town of Magnum Caelum in Voulhire, where he is awaited by his inheritance. Gallen, who merely knows survival and privation, now has a home and forge left by his uncle. Going ahead, he meets Rowan, who is quite aware of all the stuff happening around Voulhire. Alongside this, many other situations happen in different parts of Voulhire. Lord Eldus is appointed as the new lord of Hillport by King Wilhelm. Eldus sets out on a mission to remove impoverishment from Hillport and to help heal the sufferers from their earlier lord's traumas while caring for and shielding his family.
Meldorath’s character is described as envious, strong, powerful, and merciless, and he wants to by all means keep control of the entire country in his hands by using his supernatural powers. Half of the book leaves a question for its readers: Is Meldorath alive or dead? Eldus tries hard to remove the fear of Meldorath from their nation’s mind, and in doing so, he intentionally does not let them know about his aliveness. Despite this, Meldorath keeps on gaining power and planning revenge against Voulhire.
I would have to say that Tysz has succeeded in capturing his audience’s attention with a book that is a spot-on amalgamation of fantasy, fiction, science, magic, revenge, and spirituality. I found the concepts so original, and the names given to the concepts, characters, and realms can easily be etched into one’s memory. The locations and scenes have been described in such a way that one couldn’t leave them imagining. I found this book a real page-turner, especially when it comes to particular scenes with Caromentis, Meldorath, and a girl named Beth. Reading it seemed like watching a movie on the screen. It takes its readers into a world of fantasy, be it the alluring landscapes, historical era descriptions, character thought processes, appearances, or expressions narrated.
What I didn’t like about the book is that I found some characters and scenes confusing. There were jokes that I didn’t find amusing. I would rate this book 4 out of 5 because of the level of difficulty I faced in getting some scenes and their links to others. Moreover, I had to read over a few concepts twice to fully grasp the idea and what was going on.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves reading fantasy fiction and has an interest in the most debatable topics of science, spirituality, and witchcraft because you can find all three in one book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”