Review of Winners and Losers edition 3

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christine Palmer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Review of Winners and Losers edition 3

Post by Christine Palmer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Winners and Losers edition 3" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book is a collection of cartoon illustrations. It is a satire on society and values. The cartoons are grouped into themes including, ‘Winners and Society’ and ‘To the Winners Belong the Spoils’. There are short quotes or thoughts included in between the drawings. Each cartoon is both amusing and thought-provoking. The author then provides commentary on the American dream and how the ideas presented in the comics are ingrained in society. The author is a professional medical researcher and hobby anthropologist. This background as an educated observer gives the cartoons a unique ability to amuse while making a statement about the problems in our society.

Winners and Losers: Heretical Cartoons about the American Religion of Winning is written by Arthur Hartz. It is a well-written and entertaining read. It is quick and short to read. It also makes the reader pause and reflect on the societal ills it critiques. I enjoyed the book immensely. It made me chuckle and brightened my day. As I do not subscribe to any newspapers or publications, I have missed reading the cartoon illustration section. This book was a refreshing throwback to reading political cartoons in the newspaper.

The author's commentary is at the end of the novel. I would have liked their views in advance so that I read the book more critically. Instead, I read the book again after taking in the author's commentary.

I rate this book five out of five stars for being both amusing and thought-provoking. The book is exceptionally well-edited. I noted no errors. I liked the short length, it gave me time to reflect on each drawing and its meaning.

I recommend this book to all readers approximately fourteen years of age and older. I recommend this age limit due to mild swearing and a critical view of society. A base level of maturity is needed to understand cartoon satire.

Winners and Losers edition 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”