Review of Crazy Time

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Review of Crazy Time

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Crazy Time" by L. Andrew Cooper.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Crazy Time : A Bizarre Battle with Darkness and the Divine is a horror fiction novel by L. Andrew Cooper. Lilith Henshaw has her whole life torn to shreds when two men murder her best friends. Brutally. Eric, Kris, Mia, and Lily get sideswiped by a truck that has been following them since they left the party. Lily is forced to watch as the two men butcher her friends on what was supposed to be Eric's birthday. Soon after the incident, Lily's brother, David, commits suicide. Strange things start happening: crickets are in her bed, and there is a stuffed teddy bear with one eye missing in her house. 

The narration was fitting as it conveyed Lily's mental state, paranoia, and fears to perfection. The fast-paced plot and crisp, to-the-point writing make it fun to read. There were new words which helped improve my vocabulary. The novel was well edited with no errors. I appreciated the humour-filled scenes. 

However, there are a few things that did not feel right to me as a reader. The chapters were too long; breaking them into shorter versions would help create the intended effect of suspense. There were also instances where a character would monologue for a full page, for example on page 87, where Burt narrates his experience in jail. Lily's growth as a character was lacking. The author failed to make Lily relatable or develop a connection with the reader. 

There are some trigger warnings, such as suicide, rape, murder, and gore. If you are sensitive to such things, you should avoid this novel. There are non-borderline profanities and sexual content. While it may initially seem that the novel is biassed towards people of certain religions, that is not the case.

Due to the above, I rate Crazy Time two out of five stars. I did not find the book immensely enjoyable. Those who love a nice mystery and a headstrong protagonist will want to read this novel. I recommend this book to adults interested in horror fiction.

Crazy Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Ni_weh_sesh62

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”