Review of Stress Test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
June Blue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-june-blue.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Review of Stress Test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy

Post by June Blue »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Stress Test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy" by William Cooper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I bet you have heard of Donald Trump, about how he won the presidential elections and stormed the white house and the oval office with something that American history had never witnessed before. A TV celebrity becoming the president of the most powerful country in the world. Have you been an invested participant? Or observer? Or have you always been too afraid even to enter the world of politics and governance? Or have you simply never cared enough? If you can categorize yourself in any of these categories, how about a detailed informative summary of these 4 years in 100 pages sound? Because that is precisely how I would describe Stress Test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy by William Cooper.

This book is a compilation of published articles from 31st July 2019 till 8th March 2022, covering the chaos encircling the phenomenon called Donald Trump, and how he challenged America's fundamental governing principles and ideals and reversed the direction of growth entirely. Starting from the first impeachment reeling in the various factors of its conception to its implications. Including the alleged deal between the Bidens and the Ukrainian President, the reassuring stance of the judiciary, the state of American prisons during the pandemic, and criticizing both the Democrats and Republicans, the Covid-19 pandemic, and the role of the people and the press. Taking chronically all incidents usurping this country’s norms and peace since the reign of Donald Trump.

Things I like about this book were the content, structure, author’s personal notes, and the suggestions offered. The authors manage to compile all relevant articles with information and sound well-backed arguments. It does not impress an opinion upon you but gives you an opportunity to form your own, as it offers both sides of the controversy. I especially liked how he enlisted the strengths and weaknesses of the Republicans as well as the Democrats. Offering constructive criticism to both parties diplomatically. I love the choice of topics and articles. The writing style and tone. This in a way encourages people to invest a bit more in politics. This book is a good place to start because it focuses on the most pressing issue. The deliberation and consideration with which the articles were picked are evident, a compliment to the author and the reader.

All that I could find wrong with the book were minor errors regarding the choice of a few prepositions which did affect the reading experience at all. I would like to suggest some sort of reference table explaining technical terms or providing a little background knowledge to refine the reading experience.

I would rate this book four out of five stars for the above-mentioned reasons.

I would recommend this book to everyone. I’d like to use a quote from a book which is by Plato- “One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors”. Having an opinion about how the society, of which you are a part, functions is important.

Stress Test: How Donald Trump Threatens American Democracy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”