Review of Just Die

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Review of Just Die

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Just Die" by E Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer, Jake Silver was taught by his mother to point his finger at an offending driver and say “just die” instead of giving them the finger, thus avoiding road rage. He had always done this whenever he was annoyed by someone, but obviously, they didn't actually die. That is until he suffers a stroke and suddenly, his words have the power to kill people when he points at them. With such a powerful gift or curse bestowed upon him, Jake finds himself questioning what he is meant to do with it. He decides that he wants to use it for good, to eliminate evil people. However, his newfound power entangles him, his fiancée, and his friend in a chaotic murder case, with Homeland Security stepping in to rescue him because of his newfound power. Just Die is a fast-paced thriller told through the perspectives of multiple characters, each struggling with their own set of issues, all revolving around Jake's mysterious power.

Just Die is an intriguing book that quickly captured my attention from its synopsis. The idea of having the power to kill someone by saying two words and pointing a finger at them is unimaginable, yet the author made it very believable in this book. I enjoyed the inclusion of multiple characters and their unique perspectives, as it added depth and made the book more engaging. Each character had their own backstory, dealing with issues ranging from substance abuse to divorce.

While I found Just Die enjoyable at the beginning, I felt that it lacked certain elements, and by the end, I wasn't as impressed. As Jake discovers his powers, he unintentionally kills three people. However, I found it unrealistic how the book portrayed Jake's emotional response to these deaths. I expected a more in-depth description of Jake's guilt and the range of emotions he experienced upon realizing that he had killed people. Instead, he, his fiancée, and his new friend were eager to test out his power further. Additionally, the fast pace of the book towards the end felt rushed. Jake went from being an ordinary guy to a Homeland Security agent within a chapter or so. Perhaps the author aimed to keep the book short, but I believe a slightly longer, slower-paced approach could have made the story more realistic.

I found no errors while reading the book, indicating professional editing. Considering that I enjoyed the overall concept and the beginning of the book, but found it unrealistic and too fast-paced, I rate Just Die three out of five stars. I recommend it to individuals who enjoy fast-paced thrillers.

Just Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”