Review of Just Die

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosie Barlow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosie-barlow.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review of Just Die

Post by Rosie Barlow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Just Die" by E Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jake Silver finds out he has the power to kill people simply by pointing at them and uttering the words ‘just die.’ Just Die by E.A. Fleischauer is a great read for Stephen King lovers. It explores the idea of what would happen if someone accidentally came upon a great power and what that would mean for the people around them.

I thoroughly enjoyed E.A. Fleischauer’s novel. It was overall a great read. It was exciting, thrilling, and funny! Fleischauer writes his characters with love and care, and it shows. The main character, Jake Silver, is extremely likeable. He makes smart, relatable decisions in the novel and doesn’t act foolishly for the sake of the plot. His fiancé Beth Ann Noble is sweet, caring, and a great supporting character. The third character in the novel’s main trio is Omar Carter, a retired NFL player who meets Jake at the hospital. Omar Carter is a wonderful comic relief, and I appreciate Fleischauer’s effort into fully rounding his character.

The plot itself is fantastic! Fleischauer doesn’t delve into why exactly Jake has his power. He focuses on the story at hand and how his power to kill people affects him both mentally and physically. I thought this was a solid decision because the story commits to a certain plot and doesn’t dawdle with unnecessary conflicts. I also like Fleischauer’s writing style, especially his gifted skill of dialogue. The conversations between characters in the novel are entertaining to read.

One of my issues with the novel was with the character DC. She wasn’t given more grief for her actions, even though her actions were criminal. DC was a critical character in kickstarting the main plot, so I wish she was given some punishment; it would have wrapped up the story nicely. Another issue was that the escalation near the end of the story was a little abrupt; it seemed to come out of nowhere. I know that Beth Ann’s father was mentioned earlier in the novel, but I had a hard time being convinced of his actions near the end.

I give Just Die four out of five stars. The book was amazing, the concept was well thought out and Fleischauer clearly has a talent for writing. There were a few editing errors, so combined with the issues I had with the story, I had to deduce one star. However, I would still recommend the novel to readers that enjoy Stephen King, or those that enjoy short and sweet thriller novels. Honestly, this book is for anyone that wants an exciting adventure story!

Just Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”