Review of Man Mission

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katy Jackson
Currently Reading: A Lovely Day Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katy-jackson.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Man Mission

Post by Katy Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is a riveting tale of his travels across the globe, intermixed with a candid account of the lives of four men as they transition from young men with aspirations to family men with tremendous responsibilities.

For fifteen years, the author and his friends Sam, Alec, and Daniel go on numerous yearly adventures, a tradition they vowed to do in college. As years go by, the men are pressured by responsibilities and exhausted by the monotony of life. That is when they remember their promise and plan a trip with friends to an exotic location. Years go by as the author and his friends get married, have kids, and go on with life. As time passes and the men go on cycling in the Japanese Alps, Kayaking in Australian rivers, facing elephants in the depths of the African wilderness, trekking in Iceland, and hiking various trails in Vietnam and New Zealand.

The author combines the account of his travels with his personal life experience. How his relationship with his wife Rachel deteriorates and his marriage crumbles. The author included intimate details of how he redeemed himself for his mistakes and found himself again with the help of friends and family. The book is a candid discovery of what it means to be a man, the expectations held by society, and the hardships men face to meet those expositions.

The book takes an existentialist approach to discovering the truth behind life. It contemplates the meaning of family and friends and brings to question several perspectives as the author steps out of his bubble into the vast world of custom, tradition, and culture. It is a thought-provoking and refreshing narrative of a man’s worldview.

I liked how the author intimately described the minute details of his self-reflection. He bared his soul with tremendous courage to write this travelogue and biography. The natural world helped the author to realize his inner self. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. Despite being a rewarding read, the book had bad editing and many errors, thus tarnishing the reading experience.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am sorry for the errors; that had to make reading difficult. My friends and I made a similar pact in college and really tried to keep it up. Unfortunately, as you said, ife and responsibilities got in the way.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”