Review of The End of May

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nicoleta Lacatis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicoleta-lacatis.html
Latest Review: The End of May by Kem Richards

Review of The End of May

Post by Nicoleta Lacatis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The End of May" by Kem Richards.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“The End of May” by Kem Richards is a romance novel (using the term romance loosely) presented from the point of view of our starry-eyed protagonist Marcy, a young woman who decides to move in with her boyfriend and start a new life in NYC Manhattan, a city considered the cultural, financial and media capital of the world.

Initially we know next to nothing about Marcy, the idea being to reveal her character throughout the book. It is quickly made clear that Marcy desires to meet new people, experience life in the big city, and indulge her darker temptations.

The story itself is not exactly what I imagined considering that this book is classified as romantic. Whilst classic love stories are based around the experience of meeting a special someone, this book is more a series of adventures and unexpected turns. The personalities of other characters flip-flop to serve the narrative and drive the story forward. The main character is presented to be a strong sensitive woman searching of true love, but as the story progresses her personality feels selfish and shallow. Especially when it comes to sex and relationships. It was a difficult character to connect with and personally, I was able to see few plots twist coming. To be honest, the more I went through the book, the more the whole story led me to the impression that the main character ended up changing from Andy (The Devil Wears Prada) to Anastasia (Fifty Shades of Grey).

On the other hand, the description of New York City is pleasant and imaginative. The vocabulary used in this book is relaxed and makes it easy to read, which is why I gave a 2 out of 4 and a 3 out of 5 in my rating. In the end, this book could be ideal for people who want to get out of everyday life, if the story is their cup of tea.

The End of May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”