Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book Cynthia and Dan is a fast-paced novel with spies, secret agents, cyber warfare and romance. It’s the 10th book of the McBride series but can be read as a stand-alone. The book revolves around Cynthia, an undercover chief of security for the senator, working under the guise of a receptionist and her brother Glenn, a private investigator. Together with the computer nerds Tim and Garth, they start a cyber warfare against foreign nations that want to harm America all while Cynthia battles against her feelings for the elusive Sky Eastman. Is he a friend or foe? And will the team be able to take down the culprits in time before disaster strikes? Read and find out!

The book constantly keeps the suspense going. The chapters switch between the romance and the cyber warfare plot so that readers don’t get bored. I found the parts focused on cyber warfare pretty cool, and it was easy to understand. The interactions between Glenn, Tim and Garth were hilarious and fun to read.

I felt like Dan and Sky weren’t fleshed out much even though they were the main characters. I also thought that because of her job, Cynthia would be more knowledgeable about her private life which was not the case. I also thought the cover page didn’t look good and could have been better.

While the book is very interesting, there are a couple of themes that might be offensive to some people regarding unwanted pregnancy and terrorism. It is a book for adults as there is a chapter with a sex scene however the chapter is marked and can be skipped. There are mentions of stalking and miscarriage and if anyone reading the book is uncomfortable with that, please avoid reading the book or consider skipping a few pages.

I would rate the book a 4 out of 5 stars with a star being cut because I felt the the main characters were not fleshed out much and because of the cover page. Nevertheless, it’s a great book to read and I would definitely recommend it.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I have been thinking of picking up this book. As you said, the cover is not impressive. A good review!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”